5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am runing Vista home edition and IE 7.0.6001.18000. I ran Secunia's online scan for out-of-date software at secunia.com several times last night and then installed the latest Microsoft Updates this morning. After the installations were completed I tried to run a scan again to verify that the updates had eliminated all the problems it had reported: I opened IE and clicked on the scan selection on the first page. That brings up a new page where I selected Online Scan and that causes IE to close! I've gone through this process many times since this morning and it happens every time. I've also rebooted several times. I can open the online scan page without any problem on my wife's PC.

I suspected that this indicated that I have been infected with malware of some kind so I had my anti-virus program (Viper) run a deep scan. That did not find any problem.

Any idea what might be wrong or how to fix this?

Thanks,
    Bill

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The Online Secunia Inspector uses Java, so maybe there's a problem with Java on your PC. You might try reinstalling it - get it from Java Downloads for All Operating Systems.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The Online Secunia Inspector uses Java, so maybe there's a problem with Java on your PC. You might try reinstalling it - get it from Java Downloads for All Operating Systems.
    Here is another reply that I did not receive an emailed notice for!

I will try reinstalling Java from the location you suggested and see if that helps.

Thanks,
    Bill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Reinstalling java has not helped! I've posted the same problem in the secunia.com forum but haven't received any useful advice there either.

Thanks,
    Bill

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't have an explanation or solution, but you could download and install the Personal Software Inspector (PSI). The Secunia PSI is a stand-alone and more thorough version of the Online Software Inspector.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='791092' date='28-Aug-2009 04:49']I don't have an explanation or solution, but you could download and install the Personal Software Inspector (PSI). The Secunia PSI is a stand-alone and more thorough version of the Online Software Inspector.[/quote]
    Actualy, I have PSI installed too and it gives me different results sometimes so I tend to also run the online scan when I recieve a notice that the requirements list has changed.

Thanks,
    Bill

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='BillWilson' post='791196' date='28-Aug-2009 13:55']Actualy, I have PSI installed too and it gives me different results sometimes so I tend to also run the online scan when I recieve a notice that the requirements list has changed.[/quote]

When IE closes is there an indication of an error?
    Have you checked the event logs?
    Have you tried disabling some other IE addons? You can't disable them all as Java is an addon.

Joe
    Joe