2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Running Windows 7 (x64) on HP HDX 9300. For some inexplicable reason my screenserver files (*.scr) will only open up in notebook. Previously they worked normally and even after restoring an image they still open open in notebook. A screensaver stored on the desktop changed icons from the expected one to one for notebook.... I changed the screensave image icon in PROPERTIES so now it shows as a normal icon but still opens up in notebook...I usual open up the sceensavers manually from the desktp but unable to do so now as they only open up in a notebook window...any help would be appreciated...The *scr files are located in the SysWOW64 folder and only run in a notebook mode but the files located in a backup directory run correctly....!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Since your question is about Windows 7 I moved it to the Beta Software forum.

Try the File Unassociate tool fromAn Utility to Unassociate File Types in Windows 7 and Vista.
    - Unzip the exe file.
    - Start the exe.
    - Select .scr in the list of extensions.
    - Click Remove file association (User).

Note: the download unassoc_1_4.zip is a bit hard to find on the page, all those loud buttons are for software that you don't want.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks...I went back a couple registry restores and found one that fixed the association problem...don't know why but scr files got associated with notepad...your fix is helpful and would have save me a lot of time...