Thread: Lyrebird

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeQjkQpeJwY

The lyrebird imitates sounds it hears to attract a partner.

This bird in the Adelaide zoo has been living next to a construction site. So has picked up a lot of sounds which one may not hear in the Australian bush (hopefully).
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Fascinating! David Attenborough also paid attention to this phenomenon: Amazing! Bird sounds from the lyre bird

Thanks
    [quote name='gwhitfield' post='789213' date='16-Aug-2009 13:12']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeQjkQpeJwY

This bird in the Adelaide zoo has been living next to a construction site. So has picked up a lot of sounds which one may not hear in the Australian bush (hopefully).[/quote]
    I didn't believe it because it was a lyre...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='789224' date='16-Aug-2009 15:15']I didn't believe it because it was a lyre...[/quote]
    Now this is a real lyre: The Amazing Lyrebird of Australia - Unseen Footage

Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='789225' date='16-Aug-2009 14:22']Now this is a real lyre: The Amazing Lyrebird of Australia - Unseen Footage[/quote]

Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='789225' date='16-Aug-2009 21:22']Now this is a real lyre: The Amazing Lyrebird of Australia - Unseen Footage[/quote]

That was funny watching David Attenborough walking away speechless.
    Catz

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='gwhitfield' post='789213' date='16-Aug-2009 22:12']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeQjkQpeJwY

This bird in the Adelaide zoo has been living next to a construction site. So has picked up a lot of sounds which one may not hear in the Australian bush (hopefully).[/quote]
    As a kid, they were plentiful in Sherbrook Forest, near where I lived. I remember hearing imitations of axes hitting trees (complete with echo), chainsaws and the most amazing - imitating the sound of the camera shutter and automatic wind-on, as one was being photographed on his mound!

Alan

Thanks
    [quote name='AlanMiller' post='789314' date='17-Aug-2009 15:10']As a kid, they were plentiful in Sherbrook Forest, near where I lived. I remember hearing imitations of axes hitting trees (complete with echo), chainsaws and the most amazing - imitating the sound of the camera shutter and automatic wind-on, as one was being photographed on his mound![/quote]
    You do realise that all these devices have copied their sounds from the lyrebird?
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='789327' date='18-Aug-2009 00:44']You do realise that all these devices have copied their sounds from the lyrebird?[/quote]
    Of course! Each time I snapped off a shot, I'd look down at my camera and think, "Those clever Japanese!"

Alan