Thread: MP3Tag Software

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Earlier this year in my Post 766571 I admitted my embarrassment at having seen several postings by Alan Miller about Mp3tag but not really learning how to use it. I have been manually adding the Title field to songs, one at a time, by copying the filename without the .mp3 suffix.

I figured it was time to delve into it so I could see if there's a way to do a bunch of files without having to do it manually. Wow, it's amazing what a little "study" will do! (RTFM?) I had to resort to a link in a post by Dennis in the thread that led to the solution in their forums - Automatically / batch a mp3 title from the file name? - Mp3tag Forums.

Great software!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='789259' date='16-Aug-2009 17:53']I figured it was time to delve into it so I could see if there's a way to do a bunch of files without having to do it manually.[/quote]Al, if you are using Exact Audio Copy to rip audio CDs, EAC will create both a structured filename and id3 tags.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7±DS

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='JohnBF' post='789470' date='18-Aug-2009 01:10']Al, if you are using Exact Audio Copy to rip audio CDs, EAC will create both a structured filename and id3 tags.[/quote]
    No I don't John, but I might just go look at it to see what I'm missing.

I used to rip from CD with WMP but it got to the point of refusing to rip from CDs that I know are not protected and are in my vast collection of music. So I started using Ashampoo to rip and have not had any trouble.

What got me started on this venture is that I also use iTunes occasionally to buy some individual music. I then convert the songs to MP3 using the Audio Converter from AVS4YOU®. I don't remember which of their programs I bought first, but one purchase entitles you to any or all of their software. At any rate, I started looking at my music files with MP3Tag and saw that it was possible to fill or edit fields with that program. Much of my music (MP3s) has nothing in the title or artist field, probably because of the route by which they got to be MP3s on my drive.

Edited later to add: Interesting and coincidental that the EAC page prominently shows an advert for the AVS program I mentioned! They ARE worth the money (to me) as I've gotten good use out of several of their programs.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='789504' date='18-Aug-2009 04:55']I also use iTunes occasionally to buy some individual music. I then convert the songs to MP3 using the Audio Converter from AVS4YOU®. I don't remember which of their programs I bought first, but one purchase entitles you to any or all of their software. At any rate, I started looking at my music files with MP3Tag and saw that it was possible to fill or edit fields with that program.[/quote]
    Al, are you aware you can individually and bulk edit iD3 tags within iTunes? In iTunes right click a file and select Get Info | Info tab, and edit the fields. (If you select multiple files you'll get a warning, but if it's something common to all the selected files such as Artist name, OK through the warning and edit away.) If an MP3 file which does not have id3 tags has been imported into iTunes, it'll usually be at the end of the listing of all files (may depend on your view, mine is usually alpha by either track name or artist depending on what I'm doing), so you can find it and edit it there.

I'll have to look into AVS4YOU® Audio Converter. At present I'm using Switch Converter, which works nicely but has some oddities in its interface, periodic purchase nags (every 25 conversions or something, I haven't paid close attention), AND it seems to hammer id3 tags on conversion from M4A to MP3.

EAC has a lot of features and takes some setup work - if you try it, some aspects work better with iTunes if you use this setting: EAC | EAC Options | Filename | Naming scheme order "%N_-_%T_-_%A_-_%C" (and then anything else you need), and check "Replace spaces by underscores."
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7±DS

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='JohnBF' post='789851' date='19-Aug-2009 19:15'][/quote]
    Thanks, John. Not sure I'll change what I'm already (pretty) familiar with. I must admit to NEVER having tried to learn if iTunes could do anything else. When I first started I was just looking for a place I could buy music, one song at a time. I know there are other places, but iTunes always has anything I'm looking for and the price is right.

For a long time, I would buy several songs, burn them to CD to get rid of the Apple format, then rip 'em back to hard drive as MP3. That's about when I found the AVS stuff. Someone here in The Lounge suggested MP3Tag (Alan Miller to be exact) and I liked the capabilities it had. I've only recently gotten into the bulk activity stuff.

Anyway, thanks for your tips. I know there are probably many programs like EAC and others, but it's like a comfortable pair of shoes - it's difficult to throw them away. Hopefully, all this info may be helpful to other Loungers too!