Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

I'm trying to create a database to track all of our patients that are being treated with oral chemotherapy. I created a table to list the drug name, dose availabe, and the dosage form. When I enter the number into the dose section, anything I enter on the righthand side of the decimal keeps being changed to 0. For example, a drug that comes in a 12.5 mg tablet gets changed to 12 or 12.0. I tried the general number settings, making it a fixed decimal, but no matter how I try to format it, the last digit is being omitted.

Any ideas on what I did (or didn't do) to cause this to happened? Attached is the file, with only the drugs entered into the table.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Change the datatype from Long Integer to Single or Double.
    Steve H
    IT Lecturer/Access Developer
    O2K SR3/O2010; Win7Pro

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='SteveH' post='789592' date='18-Aug-2009 13:08']Change the datatype from Long Integer to Single or Double.[/quote]

It worked! Don't understand why, though. In the future, do I haveto do that everytime I wish to create a decimal number in a table?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    A field with the Byte, Integer or Long Integer data type can only store whole numbers. If you enter a number with decimals in such a field, it will automatically be rounded to the nearest whole number.

The Single and Double data types are intended for numbers with decimals. So yes, if you want a field to hold numbers with decimals, you must change the field size from Long Integer (the default for number fields) to Single or Double.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='789597' date='18-Aug-2009 13:25']A field with the Byte, Integer or Long Integer data type can only store whole numbers. If you enter a number with decimals in such a field, it will automatically be rounded to the nearest whole number.

The Single and Double data types are intended for numbers with decimals. So yes, if you want a field to hold numbers with decimals, you must change the field size from Long Integer (the default for number fields) to Single or Double.[/quote]

Thanks! Somehow I must have missed that when I hit the F1 button. I'll file that in my brain under "R" for "Remember It!"