Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Office 2000 registration Wizard

I am certain I am not alone when I say I RESENT being forced to register anything. Does anyone know where I can find info on circumventing the Office 2000 registration Wizard?
    Thanks

Dan O'Quinn

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Office 2000 registration Wizard

You could always by Developer's Edition [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I don't know if it can be bypassed- I assume MS would have made it pretty hard to circumvent. The idea was, I guess, to make sure they collected revenue from every installed copy of Office, and would have invested heaps to make sure we got it. Having said that, there's sure to be someone out there who can do it.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

reformat every 50 uses?

it's easier to register - they don't need any info and if you a) have a legit copy and/or only install it on one machine, it's painless.

Hint - use the phone option nd write the number they give you down! If you reformat or need to reinstall on this machine, you have the number and no need to call again.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

i think developer has it - the msdn versions don't (but msdn costs $2500 per year ) and site lic don't -mimimun purchase is 5 copies.

might as well get used to it - whistler and office 10 have similar systems. More secure in MS's eyes but more of a PITA to end users.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I purchased MOD 2000 in June 1999, the minute it was released. I don't think they added the Registration Wizard until after SR-1 was released. There was a great series about the ORW in Woody's Office Watch (starting in 5.10).[img]/w3timages/icons/yikes.gif[/img]

-MarkJ-

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes I do have a 100% legitimate copy. I run a small retail computer store and qualify to buy Ms products at greatly reduced pricing. Recently I decided to do a major update to the system I use in the office. New mother board (asusa7v ) CPU (Amd T-bird 700) and 30 gig ATA 100 hard drive, I also took the plunge and loaded Windows Me and Office 2000 at the same time.
    Here in lies the problem next week I may decide winMe is too buggy and reformat and reload win98se, is my registration number going to work?
    How about when I pull the old 8meg video card and replace it with something new?
    Three months from now when I decide I need a new processor and hard drive?
    Or if I think my mother board is flaky and swap it out next week?
    Do you see my point?
    thanks

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

dano,

I can see where you're coming from.

Woddy looks at it a little in wow vol 5 #12.

In short, the theory is that changing devices on hadrware SHOULDN'T require a change in the registration number, as long as you've kept the original install number- but then, Microsoft being Microsoft.

My MOD (bought in Australia) did not require the Wizard- and the wizard was tested here before they introduced in in the US, I understand from the full SR-1 (not the upgrade).
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

phone it in, write down the number they give you.

my experience is the mobo is the key - try the number, if it works use it. i installed to a desktop and a laptop to use my 2 lic, called both times to get a the ID. Bought a new case and mobo and stuck my drive, NIC and other hardware in the new one. i needed a new number. Told them i got a new machine and they gave me a new number. Stuck in an old drive in the old case and installed it. The old number worked.

I dual boot and didn't need a new key for the different OSs.

you're doing a lot of what if's that may never happen - office allows 2 installs. on the third, you'll need to call to and ask for another. my experience is it's no big deal. tell them you replaced the parts and they'll give the new new. write that number down.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I see your point very well. And it's one of the reasons why we have not upgraded from Office 97. I don't mind Microsoft telling me what I can and can't do with the software that I buy from them, but I won't go to them to get their permission to make significant changes to my hardware platform, which is what their software registration technology virtually means.

I'm not aware of any way to circumvent the registration other than (as was suggested in an earlier post) to reformat the disk and reload Office when you are getting close to the 50 uses. This is not practical for the average user.

I suspect that the use of this registration technology is one reason why Office 2000 sales are below forecast, and not caused just by the fall in PC sales.

Woody's discussion on the Registration Wizard extended over 3 editions and started in vol 5 # 10

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

One thing to keep in mind is that you are buying the right to use the software, not actually buying the software itself.

For 90% of the users, the registration wizard is a one time deal. They never reformat or rebuild machines.

For the other 10%, you might as well get used to it, it's the future. whistler and office 10 are even more restrictive. The .NET programs are rentals, as are ASP vendors (application service providers, providing services like exchange server to smaller companies)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

You are right, Mary. But your comments assume the continuation of the mind-set that we have all developed over the last 10 years: that is, that every year or so we upgrade our software and hardware to take advantage of significant new features.

I suggest the environment that created that mindset is unlikely to continue. The incremental benefits of Office 2000 over Office 97 have been insufficient to convince us that we should invest $700 (Australian) per machine to upgrade. Software doesn't wear out and at this stage I can see us still using the same copies of Office software for which we have licenses, in 10 years.

The situation with hardware is obviously different: hardware does fail. If you lose the hard disk it is unlikely, given the costs of disk replacement compared to buying a new box, that you would replace it - you would simply buy a new computer. It is then that you have to go back to Microsoft and get their permission to install the software on the new machine.

OK, it's no big deal. It's just the principle of the thing that annoys me. Whether you are buying software or a license to use the software is immaterial - the fact is that you have parted with good money for a functional product and the continued functionality depends on Microsoft giving you permission to change the hardware platform.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

And now the problem gets worse. Check out Woody's latest newsletter for "Office 10- on subscription"

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, Geoff, there is no end to it.

I'll give in eventually, I suppose, while ever Microsoft continues to have a monopoly in Office software. WordPerfect seems to be going nowhere [img]/w3timages/icons/sad.gif[/img] and I doubt that Sun's (free) StarOffice will ever become a threat.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>I suggest the environment that created that mindset is unlikely to continue. <hr>

Having copies of both whistler and office 10, I expect it to end sooner than you might think. You'd be hard pressed to find 10 compelling reasons to upgrade any of the programs. Each one has a couple of good reasons, but nothing that would be considered a "must have" worth $250US.

If businesses move to it, then home users may for compatability and continunity. Will businesses? Considering its very sluggish when used with less than under 128 megs of ram and something around a PII400, it may be awhile.

(speaking strickly about office above, mentioning whistler only because it has the same protection scheme in it.)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I think your right, Mary.

Windows ME (Step Up version from WIN98SE), with a recommended retail of $106 (Australian), was released here at $99 and is currently being discounted to $79. It is clear that the market has decided that the incremental benefits are not worth the price.

As you suggest, this is likely to be the story also for Whistler and Office 10.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast