New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a PST file on my laptop and want to access it from the desktop (which I've been doing for years with no problems). Suddenly the desktop is asking me for the PST password. There is none. I created one, just to try to solve the problem but it didn't work. I put it back to null. (Obviously, no problems accessing it from the laptop). Also, I have the drive on the laptop mapped and otherwise accessible (tested this).

OS is Vista Business (32 bit on desktop, 64 on laptop)
    Outlook is Office 2007

Any suggestions to get this fixed?

Many thanks,

Steve

Thanks
    [quote name='techauthor' post='789833' date='19-Aug-2009 21:06']I have a PST file on my laptop and want to access it from the desktop (which I've been doing for years with no problems). Suddenly the desktop is asking me for the PST password. There is none. I created one, just to try to solve the problem but it didn't work. I put it back to null. (Obviously, no problems accessing it from the laptop). Also, I have the drive on the laptop mapped and otherwise accessible (tested this).

OS is Vista Business (32 bit on desktop, 64 on laptop)
    Outlook is Office 2007

Any suggestions to get this fixed?

Many thanks,

Steve[/quote]
    Does this link help? http://www.recoveryengine.com/outlook-password/
    Paul Coyle
    Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='pccoyle' post='789871' date='20-Aug-2009 03:02']Does this link help? http://www.recoveryengine.com/outlook-password/[/quote]

Thanks, but no. I have the password and full access on the laptop. The problem is a password prompt from the other machine when there is no password (or even if I set one).

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='techauthor' post='789907' date='20-Aug-2009 04:18']Thanks, but no. I have the password and full access on the laptop. The problem is a password prompt from the other machine when there is no password (or even if I set one).[/quote]

Can you access the file (or any other file) from Windows Explorer rather than Outlook?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='789940' date='20-Aug-2009 14:34']Can you access the file (or any other file) from Windows Explorer rather than Outlook?

Joe[/quote]

I can access any file on the laptop from the desktop via mapped drives (username/password are in sync) (Laptop has two partitions; PST is on laptop's C: drive.

Keep in mind that this was working, until one day it wasn't. I came back from a business trip and noticed the problem. No changes made by me, such as new software, but there could always have been a windows-update related change to either the OS or Office.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='techauthor' post='789977' date='20-Aug-2009 11:12']I can access any file on the laptop from the desktop via mapped drives (username/password are in sync) (Laptop has two partitions; PST is on laptop's C: drive.

Keep in mind that this was working, until one day it wasn't. I came back from a business trip and noticed the problem. No changes made by me, such as new software, but there could always have been a windows-update related change to either the OS or Office.[/quote]

Do you have a different networking setup for the travel that needs to be reset for home?

Did you have login with a different identity to another network on the road?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='789993' date='20-Aug-2009 18:12']Do you have a different networking setup for the travel that needs to be reset for home?

Did you have login with a different identity to another network on the road?

Joe[/quote]

PST file is local to the laptop. No networking needed, except for send/receive.

Home setup is a simple gigabit switch (not smart) with a third port to the DSL router. Desktop has mapped drives to laptop.

Same username/password on desktop/laptop. Access to all other laptop files is without problem.