Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Something disturbing is happening with my PC. My CD-ROM opened mysteriously (I swear I didn't touch it!). I closed it but then my cursor started flashing a strange CD icon; and my screen started freezing all over the place. It's happened several times already. So what is it? A bug? A failing part? Demonic possession? Do I need a priest? Greythings8

Thanks
    [quote name='greythings8' post='789889' date='20-Aug-2009 07:51']Something disturbing is happening with my PC. My CD-ROM opened mysteriously (I swear I didn't touch it!). I closed it but then my cursor started flashing a strange CD icon; and my screen started freezing all over the place. It's happened several times already. So what is it? A bug? A failing part? Demonic possession? Do I need a priest? Greythings8[/quote]
    This often happened with my old Windows 98 SE Gateway PC! The "cursor [...] flashing a strange CD icon" happens when the PC is trying to read a CD.

If you are happy with ferreting inside a computer case I would check whether the data cable going into the CD drive is pushed tightly home - and also at the other end.

If you Google for "CD drive opens unexpectedly" there are a few suggestions, including the inevitable "it might be a virus", but little hard evidence for a cure, I'm afraid...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    BATcher's suggestion of checking the cables connected to the CD-ROM drive would be my first one too.

A virus could be the cause but that doesn't sound very likely.

If the problem is the CD-ROM drive itself: a new CD-ROM drive is very inexpensive nowadays.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The cables seemed okay. I disconnected and removed the CD-ROM. It seemed to work. I'm going to buy a DVD-ROM in a few days and connect. My main problem is figuring how to reconnect everything. The price is around $59 and it's at Office Depot. Is it the same as a DVD burner or is that different? Greythings8

[quote name='HansV' post='789895' date='20-Aug-2009 04:16']BATcher's suggestion of checking the cables connected to the CD-ROM drive would be my first one too.

A virus could be the cause but that doesn't sound very likely.

If the problem is the CD-ROM drive itself: a new CD-ROM drive is very inexpensive nowadays.[/quote]

Thanks
    [quote name='greythings8' post='790069' date='21-Aug-2009 06:12']I'm going to buy a DVD-ROM in a few days and connect. ..... Is it the same as a DVD burner or is that different?[/quote]
    Strictly speaking, the term "DVD-ROM" (I believe) refers to the DVD disc itself, ROM standing for Read Only Memory.

If it is a burner, it should clearly state so - e.g. this one.

Do you have a part number?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't have a part number. I just went to the local Office Depot and looked at things that resembled the old part, only with DVD listed on them. I'll look into the details on my next visit. Basically I'm looking for something that reads and copies to DVDs and CDs, costs less than $100, and can be purchased at a store within walking distance. Greythings8

[quote name='Leif' post='790070' date='21-Aug-2009 02:20']Strictly speaking, the term "DVD-ROM" (I believe) refers to the DVD disc itself, ROM standing for Read Only Memory.

If it is a burner, it should clearly state so - e.g. this one.

Do you have a part number?[/quote]

Thanks
    [quote name='greythings8' post='790072' date='21-Aug-2009 07:39']Basically I'm looking for something that reads and copies to DVDs and CDs, costs less than $100, and can be purchased at a store within walking distance.[/quote]
    I think it unlikely that a DVD burner would not also read/write to CDs. Best thing would be to ask for exactly what you want and if you are unsure of the connections (SATA, IDE etc), you could take your old one in with you to compare.

Alternatively, to avoid any connection and installation problems, you may find it simpler to get an external USB type....

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Leif' post='790073' date='21-Aug-2009 09:07']Alternatively, to avoid any connection and installation problems, you may find it simpler to get an external USB type....[/quote]

If buying an external USB CD/DVD burner don't forget that it'll need its own power supply, so you'll have to make sure there's a spare socket available handy.

It's kind of obvious when you think of it, but you won't be the first to go "Dang, I didn't think of that!" when you open the package from Amazon or wherever!

And they may be slower if you're still on USB1

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    SATA? IDE? I'm entering dark territory. Once again, I have to deal with a mechanical part I have little knowledge thereof. I don't think I will buy an external USB. The part that I saw at Office Depot looked similar to the CD-ROM from my PC. If it has similar connections I might not have trouble. I think sticking with the familiar might be the best course for now. At least until I buy a new computer (if ever). Greythings8

[quote name='Leif' post='790073' date='21-Aug-2009 04:07']I think it unlikely that a DVD burner would not also read/write to CDs. Best thing would be to ask for exactly what you want and if you are unsure of the connections (SATA, IDE etc), you could take your old one in with you to compare.

Alternatively, to avoid any connection and installation problems, you may find it simpler to get an external USB type....[/quote]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here's a progress report on my quest for, what I now know is, a new DVD recorder. Once again I've run into a Castle problem; the part where I'm at the entrance but can't find a way in. I bought a DVD recorder today: Memorex DVD Recorder; Model MRX-550Lv1-29; Part No 32020019421. It fit in the PC easily enough but I found that I don't have the proper cables to connect. I guess that's what was meant by SATA. I won't give up; tomorrow it's back to Office Depot to see if there's a way to make this work. BTW, my old CD-ROM was an Iomega; Model no: ZIPCDP1024INT-A; Product no: 5PCA210H6H. Now, the external USB sounds like a good idea. Oops! Faux pas on my previous message: in my computer illiteracy, I assumed that a USB meant some DVD recorder stayed outside my PC. I just found it was something different; embarrassing. Anyway, does anyone think I can hook this model or do I need a different recorder? Greythings8

[quote name='greythings8' post='790234' date='22-Aug-2009 04:09']SATA? IDE? I'm entering dark territory. Once again, I have to deal with a mechanical part I have little knowledge thereof. I don't think I will buy an external USB. The part that I saw at Office Depot looked similar to the CD-ROM from my PC. If it has similar connections I might not have trouble. I think sticking with the familiar might be the best course for now. At least until I buy a new computer (if ever). Greythings8[/quote]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As oft the case: one step forward, two steps back...to the Castle. Went to Office Depot, told them my problem. They hemmed and hawed and told me I needed an IDE to SATA adapter. Naturally, they didn't have one. They suggested I go to Frye's....waaaay out in Renton (the boonies from my perspective; I live in Seattle). I decided to go to the Radio Shack nearby. Surely they had an adapter. PULEEZE have an adapter. They didn't have an adapter. They suggested Frye's. So off I went on a three hour round trip to Renton. I got the adapter. I came back home. I installed the recorder. I turned on the computer. I pressed the button. The recorder won't open. Grrrr! Obviously I hooked up something wrong. I'm working from a handicap. My user's manual for my PC isn't quite open about connecting adapters, so I operated on guesswork; based on what I read in the manual. I guessed wrong, obviously. The hardware guide for the recorder wasn't much help either. This means opening up the computer, again, and trying another connection. I get a feeling there's going to be a lot of T&E here. Big sigh! Greythings8

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok folks. My DVD recorder is hooked up but doesn't open when the PC is on. Any suggestions, anyone? Greythings8

Thanks
    [quote name='greythings8' post='790420' date='23-Aug-2009 23:57']Ok folks. My DVD recorder is hooked up but doesn't open when the PC is on. Any suggestions, anyone? Greythings8[/quote]
    I don't know about your CD-ROM drive but when I installed my SATA hard drive, I needed TWO cable adapters. One for power, one for data?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I suspect that is the case with mine. I was going on info from a salesman at Radio Shack who said my DVD recorder should switch on with the PC. Since nothing happened, looked on the web for troubleshooting ideas (the ads were right, Bing.com is damn good, better than Google). While I didn't exactly get the info I was searching, I got some important clues. Oh my God! Was the all knowing Radio Shack guy wrong?! Did I indeed need a SATA power cable? Or more specifically, an IDE to SATA power cable adapter? Probably; which means another bus trip to Renton. Grrrr! It's happened to you I assume, probably everybody else posting on the site. Buy a new part, then spend more money than you want trying to make the thing work. Greythings8

[quote name='viking33' post='790499' date='24-Aug-2009 11:44']I don't know about your CD-ROM drive but when I installed my SATA hard drive, I needed TWO cable adapters. One for power, one for data?[/quote]

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, it may have "switched on" but what makes you think it should open up when the machine is started?
    I have yet see a machine that this happens.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast