2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    We run Outlook 2003 in a corporate Exchange server environment. There's a ceiling on mailbox sizes and also a maximum file size for emails in an attempt to keep the server overhead as manageable as possible. Normally, it's easy to work within these constraints. This morning, however, I received a message from a User asking a question about housekeeping and what files he's free to delete to keep his profile trim. He'd illustrated his Rich Text email with a screen shot of the contents of his profile folder embedded in the message, not as a separate attachment.

I replied, adding about 7 or 8 paragraphs of text and a couple of small embedded screenshots of my own. When I'd finished and sent him the reply, however, the message was returned with a rejection from the Exchange Administrator, telling me that the message couldn't be delivered either because my inbox was full or it had exceeded the maximum file size. Me inbox had only been purged earlier this week and is about 55% of the maximum size. I checked the reply message in my Sent Items folder and it was showing as 5Mb. The maximum size for emails in our environment is 4Mb.

I re-sent the message, removing the User's original screenshot, and the file size reverted to 161K. The odd thing was, looking at the original message in my Inbox, it was reported as 1001Kb.

He followed up my reply with another question, this time with a different embedded screenshot. I replied to this in text only, adding about 4 small paragraphs. When I sent this, another rejection appeared and the outgoing message was again reported as 5Mb. Resending the message having removed his original screenshot took it down to 7Kb. His second original message was reported as 1Mb in my Inbox.

As mentioned above, both messages were Rich Text, although my default format is HTML. The replies retained the Rich Text format of the received messages. I don't use Word as my default message editor.

What causes the file size bloat when I reply to these messages and is there a way around it, other than to remove the graphic?
    Regards,

Steve

"A good friend will help you move; a really good friend will help you move a body"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know what causes this, but it looks like Outlook changes the image format to bitmap when replying.

I routinely delete images from e-mails when I reply, even if their contribution to the message size is small.

Thanks
    [quote name='SteveTetch' post='789902' date='20-Aug-2009 01:42']As mentioned above, both messages were Rich Text, although my default format is HTML. The replies retained the Rich Text format of the received messages. I don't use Word as my default message editor.

What causes the file size bloat when I reply to these messages and is there a way around it, other than to remove the graphic?[/quote]
    This does not happen with HTML format. It must be something about RTF, but unfortunately there is no direct conversion from RTF to HTML that you could make before replying. Hmmm...