Thread: IE 7

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have IE 7 and XP with all service packs and secuity updates applied.....when I click on the E to start IE I get the message that it is connecting then an error message that it will not connect. In TasK Master it says IE is not responding. I also have an Icon to to link to IE from my provider....it will allow me to log on thru IE to the internet and I am able to do my email and some surfing.....HOWEVER, there are some business sites in MY Favorites that when I click on them, the top bar becomes a light blue and the computer freezes up and in Task Master it says that IE is not responding.

Finally, I have been able to download Firefox and the sites that I am not able to access with IE because it freezes up,,,example the business sites metioned above.....I am able to logon to them with Firefox

Finally, I am using TredMicro Pro as my security software.

This problem just started a few days ago and I believe (???) it started after Microsoft updated 10 updates on my computer but not sure........Please help thanks, John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Problems with Internet Explorer are often caused by add-ons such as search toolbars, spell checkers etc.
    Try starting Internet Explorer without add-ons to see if the problems disappear. To do so, select Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='789923' date='20-Aug-2009 11:29']Problems with Internet Explorer are often caused by add-ons such as search toolbars, spell checkers etc.
    Try starting Internet Explorer without add-ons to see if the problems disappear. To do so, select Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).[/quote]

Hans I did as you said and the message I got was there was no add ons to IE....after I got that message I tried to log on with the IE E logo and it still came back the IE was not responding....any other ideas?? Thanks, John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Here are some troubleshooting suggestions:
    Internet Explorer does not start or stops responding

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='JohnL' post='789934' date='20-Aug-2009 07:29']Hans I did as you said and the message I got was there was no add ons to IE....after I got that message I tried to log on with the IE E logo and it still came back the IE was not responding....any other ideas?? Thanks, John[/quote]

In addition to the troubleshooting that Hans recommended you ought to consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 8: Home page. I too had some strange issues with IE7 and lockups. I usually just restarted and tried the site again. Since installing IE8 I've not had the same issues.

NOTE: with IE8 there are some sites that do not work well. In many cases this can be overcome by running the site in compatibility mode. However, a few sites just won't work correctly until the site owner fixes them.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='789938' date='20-Aug-2009 13:30']In addition to the troubleshooting that Hans recommended you ought to consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 8: Home page. I too had some strange issues with IE7 and lockups. I usually just restarted and tried the site again. Since installing IE8 I've not had the same issues.

NOTE: with IE8 there are some sites that do not work well. In many cases this can be overcome by running the site in compatibility mode. However, a few sites just won't work correctly until the site owner fixes them.

Joe[/quote]

To Joe and Hans....many thanks for your suggestions...I will followup in the next few days with your suggestion as time permits....Iwant to thank you again for your kind assistance.....John