Star Lounger
    Thanks

convert w2k to pagemaker? (win98 Word 2000 )

Hi all.

Anyone know a way to convert my Word 2000 documents to Pagemaker? I have 2 separate hundred-page documents with graphics and screen shots that have to be sent to the print shop and they refuse to accept anything composed in MS Word. I've never used Pagemaker before and I don't have time to learn it. these things have to be printed NOW.

Thanks for any help.
    Ruth

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: convert w2k to pagemaker? (win98 Word 2000 )

Unless things have changed a great deal since my days in the DTP world, you can't. It's like saying 'how do I make beer from grapes?' - you don't, you get wine from grapes and beer from hops.

Pagemaker works on 'stories', completely separate chunks of text that you can paste anywhere on the page (a bit like creating a whole document from textboxes and graphics), while Word is one long continuous document. Although you can import chunks of text from Word to Pagemaker (or vice versa) using the clipboard, entire documents can't be just imported.

As I said, I'm a year or two out of the business, so maybe they've improved things, but that was certainly the case then.
    Beryl M

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Ruth

Either find another printer (there are thousands who do want your business and will handle Word files - pagination will be a problem) or find someone with Adobe Acrobat (not Reader) on their machine. Get them to convert the file to an Acrobat (PDF) format, check it and give that file to the printer.

Forget Pagemaker, learning and converting will take too much time. It is a great tool that I heartily recommend but it won't solve your immediate problem.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks so much Beryl and Andrew. You have saved me gobs of time just by convincing me to give up the search and find a different way to get the job done. Thanks a million.

R

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Ruth,

well, since you've given up, then you can toss this reply. However,...

according to my wife, who is pretty knowledgeable about Word (as I am) and uses pagemaker (which I don't) to do lots of things including publish out PC club newsletter, Pagemaker has an Insert File command, similar to Word's. You can use that to bring in your Word file. She didn't know if there was a size limit to the Word file that PM can work with (there might also be limits for the clipboard). Playing with the graphics in PM might be a problem. But we know several people who have written books with graphics in Word and then just brought them into PM.

PM kind of works a bit like Word's text boxes in that you can position a chunk (to use Beryl's technically accurate term) wherever you want. Therefore you have have unrelated chunks on the same page, like a newspaper and break up chunks across pages for things like continuations. But if the original is a document that flows sequentially from start to finish and that's how you want it to appear in PM, then 1 chunk might just do it.

Might be worth 1 shot using Insert File and see the results.

fred