New Lounger
    Thanks
    I want to have my footnotes follow a Style FootnotesXS that I created and saved. I thought it would apply to all my footnotes. But now whenever I insert a new footnote, it seems to be the default Style and and I to down and put my cursor on the number and right click. A menu comes up and I click Style and then select my saved FootnotesXS and click Apply. How can I go back and fix it so that my FootnotesXS is the Style for all Footnotes? What if I want to change the fonts in FootnotesXS and have it automatically updated across the whole document?
    Thanks,
    Karin

Thanks
    [quote name='oakenshield' post='790099' date='21-Aug-2009 13:27']I want to have my footnotes follow a Style FootnotesXS that I created and saved. I thought it would apply to all my footnotes. But now whenever I insert a new footnote, it seems to be the default Style and and I to down and put my cursor on the number and right click. A menu comes up and I click Style and then select my saved FootnotesXS and click Apply. How can I go back and fix it so that my FootnotesXS is the Style for all Footnotes? What if I want to change the fonts in FootnotesXS and have it automatically updated across the whole document?
    Thanks,
    Karin[/quote]
    I think that Word will automatically assign the style endnote text to new footnotes you insert. You can modify that style to suit your requirements.

Ian

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='IanWilson' post='790103' date='21-Aug-2009 07:40']I think that Word will automatically assign the style endnote text to new footnotes you insert. You can modify that style to suit your requirements.

Ian[/quote]

Ian,
    Gosh, I don't see a Style called endnote text, but one called Footnotes Text, which I modified and saved. However, I can't seem to get it to stick. I just discovered the Style Inpector and Reveal formatting buttons but not sure how to use them.

sample footnote e.g.
    10. This comes from discussions between the Dealer and Third Parties for which no recording took place and only sworn testimony is available. No one can be held responsible for any liabilities deriving therefrom.

Paragraph Dialogue box
    Indentation
    Left 0 Special: By:
    Right 0 Hanging 0.4 cm

Q1: if Indentation Left is for the number, and the Hanging indents the 2nd and subsequent lines, what regulates the distance from the number to the beginning of text n the first line?
    thanks, Karin

Thanks
    [quote name='oakenshield' post='790122' date='21-Aug-2009 14:52']Ian,
    Gosh, I don't see a Style called endnote text, but one called Footnotes Text, which I modified and saved. However, I can't seem to get it to stick. I just discovered the Style Inpector and Reveal formatting buttons but not sure how to use them.

sample footnote e.g.
    10. This comes from discussions between the Dealer and Third Parties for which no recording took place and only sworn testimony is available. No one can be held responsible for any liabilities deriving therefrom.

Paragraph Dialogue box
    Indentation
    Left 0 Special: By:
    Right 0 Hanging 0.4 cm

Q1: if Indentation Left is for the number, and the Hanging indents the 2nd and subsequent lines, what regulates the distance from the number to the beginning of text n the first line?
    thanks, Karin[/quote]
    I use Word 2003, and there it does call it Footnote Text, but I had a vague idea (wrong it seems) that in Word 2007 it had a different name. Apologies. You could generate a footnote, and then check what style Word says that footnote is, just to be sure.

There's a guide on how to modify styles in Word 2007 at http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-...-word-2007.html (Apologies if you know all that already.)

The left indent should give you the distance of the number from the left margin. In a footnote, the text generally begins just after the number, but if you define the style with a hanging indent, and type a tab before the footnote text, both the first word of the footnote and the start of subsequent lines should be aligned at whatever you set the hanging indent to.

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately, Word inserts a space between the footnote number and the text of the footnote, so the first line will ignore the indent settings in the paragraph format.
    You could create the following macro:

Code:
    Sub InsertFootnoteNow()
      ActiveDocument.Footnotes.Add Range:=Selection.Range
      With Selection
    	.Paragraphs(1).Range.Characters(2) = ""
    	.InsertAfter vbTab
    	.Collapse wdCollapseEnd
      End With
    End Sub
    This macro will override the insert footnote command that can be invoked by pressing Ctrl+Alt+F (not the Footnote and endnote dialog!), and it will replace the space after the footnote number with a tab, so that the first line obeys the indent settings.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately, Word inserts a space between the footnote number and the text of the footnote, so the first line will ignore the indent settings in the paragraph format.

Hans, thanks that explains one thing any way.
    Unfortunately, I don't know about macros!

K.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='oakenshield' post='790378' date='23-Aug-2009 17:49']Unfortunately, I don't know about macros![/quote]
    Activate your document in Word.
    Press Alt+F11 to activate the Visual Basic Editor.
    Press Alt+I, then M to create a new code module.
    Switch to this topic in the Lounge.
    Select the code from my previous reply and press Ctrl+C to copy it.
    Switch back to the code module and press Ctrl+V to paste the code.
    Finally, switch to your document.
    Pressing Ctrl+Alt+F should now invoke the macro and insert a new footnote with the proper indent.

If that is too difficult, you can always delete the space after the footnote number manually and press the Tab key to insert a tab.