Thread: Restore Ctrl-Z

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I ssemed to have inadvertently used Ctrl-z to name a macro...

Now when I attempt by habit to undo an action, MS Word closes.

Any advice on getting my document template right again?

Thanks
    [quote name='balltennis' post='790167' date='21-Aug-2009 11:50']I ssemed to have inadvertently used Ctrl-z to name a macro...

Now when I attempt by habit to undo an action, MS Word closes.

Any advice on getting my document template right again?[/quote]
    In Word 2000-2003, keyboard shortcuts can be (re)assigned using Tools > Customize... > Keyboard... By default, Ctrl+Z is assigned to the EditUndo command. If you have Word 2007, I'm not sure where this dialog would be found (presumably on the ribbon or in Word Options).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Open the template.
    Select Tools | Customize...
    Click the Keyboard... button near the bottom of the dialog.
    Make sure that your template is selected in the "Save changes in" dropdown.
    Select Macros in the list of Categories on the left hand side.
    Select the macro that you assigned in the list of Macros on the right hand side.
    Ctrl+Z should appear in the box of Current keys.
    Select it, then click Remove and confirm.
    OK your way out, and don't forget to save the template.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    How do I open the Normal Template?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='balltennis' post='790213' date='22-Aug-2009 10:47']How do I open the Normal Template?[/quote]Just having Word open is enough to open the Normal Template since it is open any time you have Word open.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Andrew Lockton' post='790218' date='22-Aug-2009 04:14']Just having Word open is enough to open the Normal Template since it is open any time you have Word open.[/quote]

Now NOTHING happens with Ctrl-z. Although, when I use it in other programs, even in this memo box, Ctrl-z works as 'undo'.

Any ideas on how to restore Ctrl-z, without uninstalling/reinstalling MSOFFICE 2007?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you click the "Reset All..." button in the Customize Keyboard dialog?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='790271' date='22-Aug-2009 12:39']Can you click the "Reset All..." button in the Customize Keyboard dialog?[/quote]

If you are concerned about resetting shortcuts which you have created and don't want reset; try the following:
    • Pull down Tools > Customize;
    • Click the 'Keyboard' button;
    • In the 'Categories' box, select 'Edit';
    • In the 'Commands' box, select 'EditUndo';
    • In the 'Press new shortcut key' box, key in 'Ctrl+Z';
    • In the 'Save changes in' box, select 'Normal.dot';
    • Close your way out.
    Regards
    Don

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In the 'Commands' box, select 'EditUndo'
    Ah -- EditUndo. I was trying to remember the specific name Word uses for the Undo command so that I could post a reply along the lines of yours, but for some reason it just wouldn't come to mind. (I was looking it up in Word 2007 -- and although the steps to open the Customize dialog are somewhat different, that version also uses EditUndo for Undo.)

Thanks for the refresher.

You've given me an idea for a new blog post, too (since many people who want to assign customized keyboard shortcuts to various functions often get confused by the somewhat obscure names Microsoft uses for the commands).

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You can view a list of Word commands in several ways:

In the Macros dialog (available from the View tab and from the Developer tab of the ribbon), select "Word commands" from the "Macros in" dropdown.
    If you select a command in the list, you'll see a short (sometimes cryptic) description of the command's action in the Description box.

You can download an Excel workbook or PDF file with a list of Word commands, with a (sometimes funny) description and the default keyboard shortcut from Word commands. It hasn't been updated for Word 2007, so some commands will be lacking, but most will still apply (except for the menu assignments).

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Hans. That's helpful (I was aware of the places to look in Word for the commands, but couldn't locate the complete command list). With respect to the commands as presented in the Macros dialog, however, you have to know what Microsoft called a particular command (such as EditUndo). That can be tricky, especially for clients.

More useful for folks who have trouble remembering Microsoft's nomenclature is the complete command list on the MVPs site.

As it turns out, the ListCommands macro exists in Word 2007 too. Just open the Macros dialog and change the drop-down to display only Word Commands, scroll down to ListCommands, and click "Run." There are two versions of the macro: One will show only your current keyboard assignments, and one will show all Word commands. I ran the latter, and -- although I haven't compared it to the list for Word 2003 and I haven't checked the date of the macro to see if it has, in fact, been updated -- presumably it does display all of the Word 2007 commands.

This is good stuff. I just have to make some notes so that I don't misplace the information again!

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='790281' date='22-Aug-2009 14:50']You can download an Excel workbook or PDF file with a list of Word commands, with a (sometimes funny) description and the default keyboard shortcut from Word commands. It hasn't been updated for Word 2007, so some commands will be lacking, but most will still apply (except for the menu assignments).[/quote]
    That is a great resource. fwiw, note that it does not list commands introduced later than Word 2000.

Gary