New Lounger
    Thanks
    A scientist I work with is writing a handbook with a bibliography. He wants to be able to link the original citation to the bibliography entry.

So, for example, his text says:

"...is discussed more by Fazio et al. (2004) [4]."

He would like the reader to be ale to click on the [4] and be taken to the bibliography.

I advised him to simply create a Bookmark but he would like this to be an automated process. He's very accustomed to using LaTex, which apparently offers this type of functionality.

Any advice? I am using Word 2007 on Vista, he is using OpenOffice on a Linux machine.

Thanks!
    Marcy

Thanks
    [quote name='mharbut' post='790198' date='21-Aug-2009 14:57']"...is discussed more by Fazio et al. (2004) [4]."

He would like the reader to be ale to click on the [4] and be taken to the bibliography.[/quote]
    In Word, the only mechanism for this is a hyperlink to a bookmark. Once could write code to detect bracketed numbers, but that could easily go awry if they are not limited to bibliographic references.

As for what works in OpenOffice.org. Good question! I looked at the macro language years ago when it was StarOffice, but at that time the documentation was poor and there seemed to be an emphasis on Java rather than the built-in Basic language, so I stopped looking.