3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Being a mean person, I refuse to give up my PageMaker without a struggle. I don't use it for anything which would justify spending more on a new DTP program than I spent on the computer. But one thing I use it for is proving quite challenging since Office 2007 made its appearance.

I have a large training course with 25 modules. I produce a trainer's guide and a participants' book, both using the PowerPoint slides. These I object link into PageMaker documents, which then either have the speaker's notes (Word files) or lines for notes added, together with other handouts and reference material (Word or PDF). Each module is then combined into a PageMaker book together with introduction, table of contents, etc. and produced as a PDF file (around 190 pages). Works well.

Except that PageMaker refuses to link to PowerPoint 2007 slides. I had no problem with PowerPoint 2000, and slides linked with the old program continue to update in PageMaker even if I make changes to the slides in PowerPoint 2007. But if I want to add new slides or new modules, the "oyster won't let me" - when I try to Paste Special|Paste Link the new slides, PageMaker says "Cannot paste from Clipboard; PageMaker cannot start the server application. Make sure there is enough memory and that the server is installed properly."

As with most PageMaker error messages, that is too cryptic for me, but suggests that I ought to be able to change something to allow PageMaker and PowerPoint 2007 to start a dialog.

I have a workaround, using a VM running Office 2000 to make the files, which as I note continue to link with PowerPoint 2007 once set up. But it's a real kludge, and I want to hand this on to someone less patient than I , who might have difficulty working out such a roundabout solution.

BTW, I can link files from Word 2007 into PageMaker, although as noted eslewhere, to get them to format right I have to save them a Word 6.0/95 form.

Anybody any ideas how I can get the OLE server to start?

Chris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Does it make a difference whether the presentation is saved in PowerPoint 2007 format (.pptx) or in PowerPoint 97-2003 format (.ppt)?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='790246' date='22-Aug-2009 18:36']Does it make a difference whether the presentation is saved in PowerPoint 2007 format (.pptx) or in PowerPoint 97-2003 format (.ppt)?[/quote]
    Thanks, Hans for your swift response. Indeed I hadn't tried it with .pptx format, but I just have, and the result is the same. One can still Paste 'normal' even with .pptx, so it's not a format problem...

Chris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    PageMaker is getting a bit long in the tooth (the current version was released in 2001), so I fear you're stuck with your Office 2000 workaround...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='790249' date='22-Aug-2009 19:16']PageMaker is getting a bit long in the tooth (the current version was released in 2001), so I fear you're stuck with your Office 2000 workaround...[/quote]
    Aren't we all (getting long in the tooth - if we still have teeth!)? It's so sad that Adobe (or someone else) hasn't come up with a replacement - DTP for the rest of us. I really don't need lots of bells and whistles, just something a bit more functional than Publisher, at a more affordable price.

I keep waiting for an open-source solution to go with OpenOffice. Scribus doesn't seem to have made it yet...

Chris