Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm hoping someone here on the Lounge might be able to translate some Hungarian into English for me. It's from a (mildly) technical specification, but I think that many of the words might be beyond the simple online dictionaries, or are perhaps jargon/colloquial terms. It's just a few lines of text and any help would be appreciated.

Alan

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='AlanMiller' post='790339' date='23-Aug-2009 06:51']I'm hoping someone here on the Lounge might be able to translate some Hungarian into English for me. It's from a (mildly) technical specification, but I think that many of the words might be beyond the simple online dictionaries, or are perhaps jargon/colloquial terms. It's just a few lines of text and any help would be appreciated.

Alan[/quote]
    How about Nice Translator?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bowlie' post='790357' date='23-Aug-2009 08:29']How about Nice Translator?[/quote]
    I don't know if it'll suit Alan's need, but that IS a "nice" one and duly bookmarked. Thanks, Bowlie!

Thanks
    [quote name='Bowlie' post='790357' date='23-Aug-2009 20:29']How about Nice Translator?[/quote]

Thanks Bowlie. Bookmarked the site too.
    Catz

Thanks
    [quote name='Bowlie' post='790357' date='23-Aug-2009 13:29']How about Nice Translator?[/quote]
    Dunno how good the translation is since I couldn't work out how to use the interface!

There are three pieces of user information required for a translation:
    • the text to be translated
    • the (source) language the text is written in (it can guess if it wants)
    • the target language into which the text is to be translated

Surely it can't be hard to make this trivial?

In fact I'm So Cross that I'm going to comment on their website...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    With Nice Translator, you don't have to specify the source language - the software tries to auto-detect this as you type. Or you can hover the mouse pointer over AutoDetect and select the source language instead.

You have to specify the language(s) into which you want to translate - you can have text translated into multiple languages at once if you wish. Click "add translators" to do so, click "done" when ready.

After adding at least one target language, simply type or paste text into the box. That's it...

There is also a help link at the bottom of the page.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bowlie' post='790357' date='23-Aug-2009 22:29']How about Nice Translator?[/quote]
    Thanks Bowlie. It did a better job, but not complete. The "translate as you type interface" does suggest that some words have been run together... which doesn't help if you don't know the lingo!

Alan

Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='790372' date='23-Aug-2009 16:04']With Nice Translator, you don't have to specify the source language - the software tries to auto-detect this as you type. Or you can hover the mouse pointer over AutoDetect and select the source language instead.
    You have to specify the language(s) into which you want to translate - you can have text translated into multiple languages at once if you wish. Click "add translators" to do so, click "done" when ready.
    After adding at least one target language, simply type or paste text into the box. That's it...
    There is also a help link at the bottom of the page.[/quote]
    I am actually being slightly disingenuous, but I got a nice reply from "Nicky", and commented back:

"So "Add a translator" actually means "Select one or more languages into which you wish your text to be translated" - I wish this was more obvious to the first-time user...
    (You can use my wording if you want, no copyright!)."
    BATcher

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='790370' date='23-Aug-2009 10:42']Dunno how good the translation is since I couldn't work out how to use the interface![/quote]
    Don't know why you had trouble, John. All you do is select the language you want your typing translated TO and then type the text. Works for me.

[attachment=85215:2009_08_23_160654.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='790388' date='23-Aug-2009 21:09']Don't know why you had trouble, John. All you do is select the language you want your typing translated TO and then type the text. Works for me.[/quote]
    I was just standing up for the terminally non-computerate - see the post just above yours!
    BATcher

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='AlanMiller' post='790377' date='23-Aug-2009 16:25']Thanks Bowlie. It did a better job, but not complete. The "translate as you type interface" does suggest that some words have been run together... which doesn't help if you don't know the lingo!

Alan[/quote]Nice' it isn't perfect and I noticed that capital letters confuses it sometimes - Good Luck translates (into French) as Good Luck, while Good luck gives you Bonne chance. Hopefully some Hungarian / English / OZtralian linguist will come to your rescue. Just a thought, Does Hungary have an embassy or consulate in Canberra or Melbourne? A quick phone call might yield positive results.

Sok szerencsét

Edited to add: Here's a Hungarian <--> English dictionary. It's single word, but that may help with the challenging ones

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='790426' date='23-Aug-2009 23:13']I was just standing up for the terminally non-computerate[/quote]
    I agree that how you use the site isn't immediately self-evident, but once you get it, it's quite neat. Aaaand bookmarked by me!
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7±DS

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='JohnBF' post='790493' date='24-Aug-2009 16:19']I agree that how you use the site isn't immediately self-evident, but once you get it, it's quite neat. Aaaand bookmarked by me![/quote]
    Don't tell anybody but the site <span title="Spoiler: Highlight to reveal" style='color:#000000;background:#000000;padding:0p x 0.2em;'>[color=#666;margin-right: 0.2em]SPOILER:[/color]uses the Google translate engine</span>. They just provide the (apparently) crappy interface!

Thanks
    [quote name='Bowlie' post='790515' date='24-Aug-2009 20:18'] Don't tell anybody but the site <span title="Spoiler: Highlight to reveal" style='color:#000000;background:#000000;padding:0p x 0.2em;'>[color=#666;margin-right: 0.2em]SPOILER:[/color]uses the Google translate engine</span>. They just provide the (apparently) crappy interface![/quote]
    [sings] "API days are here again!"
    BATcher