5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, I used tweakUI to set up auto log on. The problem is that pressing the shift key does not stop auto logon. Does anyone know how to make this work or alternatively bring up the old style logon (I know about pressing ctrl + alt+del twice when the Logon screen is up but the screen is now currently bypassed because of tweakUI.

Thanks,

Chris (Hunt)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    If you really want the "classic" logon back, I think you'll have to use TweakUI to undo the automatic logon.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Hans. Sorry, I was just using the classic logon as an example. I don't want it back but I need a way to bypass automatic logon so that I can choose different accounts. For some reason the shift key bypass is being ignored.

Chris

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I do NOT think you can bypass the auto log in.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='790556' date='25-Aug-2009 03:18']I do NOT think you can bypass the auto log in. [/quote]

It should be possible - see this Microsoft Support Page

If you want to bypass the automatic logon to log on as a different user, hold down the SHIFT key after you log off or after Windows XP restarts. Note that this procedure applies only to the first logon. To enforce this setting for future logoffs, the administrator must set the following registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Value:ForceAutoLogon
    Type: REG_SZ
    Data: 1
    If I can find out why it's not working for me I'll post back.

Chris

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think I found the answer - I was holding the shift key down too early! It seems the way to bring up the logon screen is to hold down the shift key after the windows logo has gone. Holding it down after switching the computer on doesn't seem to work. Too late and it doesn't work either. The window of opportunity is small (ouch!).

Chris

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Cah' post='790419' date='23-Aug-2009 22:52']Hello, I used tweakUI to set up auto log on. The problem is that pressing the shift key does not stop auto logon. Does anyone know how to make this work or alternatively bring up the old style logon (I know about pressing ctrl + alt+del twice when the Logon screen is up but the screen is now currently bypassed because of tweakUI.

Thanks,

Chris (Hunt)[/quote]
    Chris: this is a shot in the dark, but check the registry for HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon for a key called AutoAdminLogon. The value should be set at 1; change it to 0 and you'll get your login menu back.