Lounger
    Thanks

Mailing lists (Outlook 2000)

I'm trying to figure out how to send e-mail to a list of addresses without having to add all the names to Contacts if possible.

My wife does a newsletter for a local organization with a mailing list of about 200-250 recipients and they would like to distribute electronically via PDF file attached to e-mail. I've got the rest of it covered, but sending that large a number of e-mails without entering each name and address individually into Contacts has me stumped. I believe my wife has the mailing list stored in a Word document, but that could be transferred to another form if needed.

First question is, can this be done in a sort of e-mail merge? Secondly, how? Any suggestions would be warmly welcomed.

Cotton

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mailing lists (Outlook 2000)

You may be able to import the contacts from the mailing list, if it's in a table. You would first have to convert the Word table to an Excel spreadsheet (or just to a comma or tab delimited file). Using the File-Import and Export option, you should be able to import the entire list to your Contacts or another folder. I'm not sure if this will work (I don't know how the mailing list is set up), but it may point you in the right direction.

Hope this helps
    Becky

Thanks

For a bulk mailing, you can simply paste large numbers of addresses, separated by semicolons, into the BCC field. Word will typically resolve them with the name the same as the address in 'single quotation marks.'

If the messages need to be personalized, and a PDF attachment attached, rather than a link to a PDF, I'm not sure Word's merge feature can handle those two things together. A VBA program may be needed. (Also, if it matters, Word 2000 cannot merge to an HTML format message, just plain text.)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think you've got to get the addresses in a format that can be read - either sequentially as one-offs, or by stuffing the group into bcc. 2Star's got a good start on this. Also, there are a number of add-ons listed at www.slipstick.com that do this sort of thing. Some are free. Might be worth taking a look.