4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am familiar with Microsoft's Photostory and the moving image effect that can create, but I was wondering what was around to create the 3D effect that I have seen recently on TV in documentaries. These 3D ones appear to cut out sections of an image. They must then insert a shadow behind the cutout.

Does anyone know of such software? Free would be nice as well.

Johanna

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='johbot' post='790520' date='25-Aug-2009 05:57']I am familiar with Microsoft's Photostory and the moving image effect that can create, but I was wondering what was around to create the 3D effect that I have seen recently on TV in documentaries. These 3D ones appear to cut out sections of an image. They must then insert a shadow behind the cutout.

Does anyone know of such software? Free would be nice as well.

Johanna[/quote]
    Perhaps these pages will be of help:
    Ken Burns Effect - The free way
    Iphoto for Windows - Digital Clip Factory - claims to be a free alternative to the Photo-to-Movie creator for windows

I know Wondershare** have a good rep, and there are a few freebies on this site:
    Free Ken Burns Effect And Pc Downloads: Wondershare 3GP Slideshow by Wondershare Software, Wondershare AppleTV Slideshow by Wondershare Software and More

** It appears that these Wondershare links are not relevant or are invalid. Don't bother with them.

Alan

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Alan,

I've been a bit busy lately and didn't have time to get back to this.

I have had a quick look at them, but they don't seem to be quite what I was looking for. Have you been watching Tony Robinson's series on the ABC about the history of law? They use the technique that I am looking for. I was wrong when I said that they insert a shadow. But it does appear that the image gets 'cut' and then the panning shot gives it a 3D effect.

Johanna