3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am trying to copy a range of cells from Excel 2007 and paste them into Word 2007 in between text paragraphs.
    I want the pasted cell range to be just a “static picture” that can be resized by dragging the corner handles.

A standard “Paste” does not accomplish what I want and under “Paste Special”

I have several choices.
    They are:

Microsoft Office Excel Worksheet Object; Formatted Text (FTF); Unformatted Text; Picture (Windows Metafile); Bitmap; Picture (Enhanced Metafile); HTML Format; and Unformatted Unicode Text.

In Word (and Excel) 2003 I used “Microsoft Office Excel Worksheet Object” without any problem. However using 2007, the Word program crashes (“Word non-responsive”) when I try to save the file.

I have tried repeatedly using backup copies, but it keeps crashing and it is driving me up the wall. Which of the Paste Special options would work and hopefully be the smallest in memory size.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Richard Spring

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Try the Picture (Windows Metafile) or Picture (Enhanced Metafile) option.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='790533' date='24-Aug-2009 14:43']Try the Picture (Windows Metafile) or Picture (Enhanced Metafile) option.[/quote]
    Thank you Hans, I will try both.
    Richard Spring

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='RSpring' post='790540' date='24-Aug-2009 15:28']Thank you Hans, I will try both.[/quote]
    Seems to be working just fine - No crashes as yet.

What is the difference between:

Picture(Windows Metafile)
    Picutre (Enhanced Metafile)

and Bitmap.

Any special properties or uses.

Thanks,
    Richard Spring

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The two metafile formats are better suited for resizing a picture because parts of the picture are stored in a 'vector' format, i.e. as mathematical descriptions of the shapes, whereas a bitmap consists of pixels, so a bitmap will become 'blocky' when enlarged. Enhanced metafile is a slightly newer format than Windows metafile, but you won't notice much difference.

See for example Windows Metafile

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='RSpring' post='790657' date='26-Aug-2009 08:31']What is the difference between:

Picture(Windows Metafile)
    Picutre (Enhanced Metafile)

and Bitmap.[/quote]
    The metafile formats allow you to combine vector and bitmap graphics together.

The vector format graphics can look better when printed at any size, can still be edited as text and objects etc. The drawbacks of using the vector formats is that sometimes the fonts can be a problem on another machine and the graphic can corrupt more easily than a bitmap format.

The bitmap format is exactly that - made up of little squares of colour. It is a format for screen captures or a photo but you can't edit any text or easily move shapes around on the image. It also looks bad when zoomed in or printed too large and may produce larger file sizes than a similar graphic saved as a vector format.

Here is a link which explains the different principles quite well
    A better description of vector vs bitmap formats
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Andrew Lockton' post='790661' date='25-Aug-2009 15:50']The metafile formats allow you to combine vector and bitmap graphics together.

The vector format graphics can look better when printed at any size, can still be edited as text and objects etc. The drawbacks of using the vector formats is that sometimes the fonts can be a problem on another machine and the graphic can corrupt more easily than a bitmap format.

The bitmap format is exactly that - made up of little squares of colour. It is a format for screen captures or a photo but you can't edit any text or easily move shapes around on the image. It also looks bad when zoomed in or printed too large and may produce larger file sizes than a similar graphic saved as a vector format.

Here is a link which explains the different principles quite well
    A better description of vector vs bitmap formats[/quote]
    Thank you Hans and Andrew:

As usual your explainations are rapid and very educating.

I also noticed the file size is MUCH smaller than the 2003 version. A ADDED bonus.

Thank you again.
    Richard Spring