5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Access 2000. This is a very basic issue that I can't get to work. I'm working on a database to keep track of books. The main table is "Books". Each book may have one or more featured characters and a character may be in more than one book so I think I have a many-to-many relationship between my Books table and my Characters table. The primary form is supposed to show all the facts about a book, one book at a time.

I have a subform (continuous form) on that main form that contains one combobox. The combobox displays a list characters from the Characters table. The record source for the subform is the BooksCharLink table that contains 3 fields: BookID, CharID, and its own LinkID. When I display this main form the facts about a book are displayed and if I dropdown the combobox it displays a list of all the main characters. The BooksCharLink table is empty at this point. If I select a character in the combobox, it is displayed correctly.

However, if I try to move the main form to the next Books record I get an error message: "You cannot add or change a record because a related record is required in the table 'Books'".

Does anyone have any idea what I have done incorrectly? I have programmed this kind of situation before but it has been quite a few years and I must be forgetting something.

Thanks,
    Bill

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you correctly set the Link Master Fields and Link Child Fields properties of the subform as a control on the main form? Both should be set to BookIDS as far as I can tell.

See this post for an example of how to handle data entry for a many-to-many relationship with a main form and subform.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='790634' date='25-Aug-2009 15:47']Have you correctly set the Link Master Fields and Link Child Fields properties of the subform as a control on the main form? Both should be set to BookIDS as far as I can tell.

See this post for an example of how to handle data entry for a many-to-many relationship with a main form and subform.[/quote]
    Thanks for the reply Hans. I hadn't received an emailed notice so luckily I decided to come see how many had read my post and I found your reply! I wonder why I didn't receive a notice?

Anyway, I believe I do have the Master and Child Link fields set up properly but I will check that now to be sure. I have download your example from the post you referenced and I'll study that and see if that will help me solve my problem. The only difference I can recognize from the words in the other post is that I did not create a composite key. I have a separate Autonumber field as the key field.

Thanks,
    Bill

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you set the notification options correctly (see Post 779292)

If you can't solve the problem, you could post a stripped down and zipped copy of the database.
    • Make a copy of the database and work with that.
    • Remove all database objects (tables, queries, forms, reports, macros and modules) that are not relevant to the problem.
    • In the remaining table(s), remove most records - leave only the minimum number necessary to demonstrate the problem.
    • Remove or modify data of a confidential nature.
    • Perform a compact and repair (Tools/Database Utilities).
    • Make a zip file containing the database.
    • If you have difficulties getting the zip file reasonably small, save the database in Access 97 format and then zip it.
    • Attach the zip file to a reply.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I still can't find any reason for the missing email notices, unless they are just very delayed.

I found the other problem -- the wrong name for the control source for the combobox in the subform! I noticed that when I compared my stuff to your sample.

Thanks,
    Bill