2 Star Lounger
    Canberra City, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Thumbs up

I have Windows XP SP3 with 2GB RAM. Secuna PSI reports that C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727 is insecure. Following a link from PSI led to Microsoft Update site which installed SP1 for version 3.5. I have the following versions of Microsoft.NET installed on my computer - v1.0.3705, v1.1.4322, v2.0.50727, \v3.0, and v3.5. I assume that the earlier versions are now redundant. Is that correct?

Please tell me how to remove v2.0.50727 - there does not appear to be an unistall option anywhere. Can I simply delete the v2.0.50727 folder and all its contents? or is that too simple?

Noel

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Are you sure you don't need .Net 2? Different programs require different versions of the framework.

If it isn't listed in the Add or Remove Programs control panel, try the free utility Revo Uninstaller.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Hans.

I have downloaded Revo Uninstaller. But I have no idea whether I need .NET v2 or not. Is there a way to find out if any program needs it? I am puzzled - if it is insecure and there is a program that needs it what I am I supposed to do when all the update did was update v3.5?

Must say I find the whole Microsoft.NET thing most confusing and Microsoft certainly does not help with its obscure explanations.

Before I go further would appreciate advice.

Noel

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The .Net Framework *is* rather confusing, with several versions that can be installed side-by-side. To find out whether you have an application that actually needs it (in particular version 2) will not be easy. If you really want to find out, you could uninstall it using Revo Uninstaller and see what happens. If you start an application that needs it, you'll be notified. You can always reinstall it if needed.

By the way, if Secunia PSI marks an application as insecure, there is no reason for panic. As long as your security software is up-to-date and active, you run very little risk. For example, Internet Explorer is intrinsically insecure but I've been using it for years without adverse effects - malware scans never find anything on my PC.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='NoelM' post='790700' date='26-Aug-2009 02:31']Thank you Hans.

I have downloaded Revo Uninstaller. But I have no idea whether I need .NET v2 or not. Is there a way to find out if any program needs it? I am puzzled - if it is insecure and there is a program that needs it what I am I supposed to do when all the update did was update v3.5?

Must say I find the whole Microsoft.NET thing most confusing and Microsoft certainly does not help with its obscure explanations.

Before I go further would appreciate advice.

Noel[/quote]

.NET 3.5 builds on .NET 2.0 & .NET 3.0. You should leave them all of those releases alone. You could uninstall .NET 1.0 & 1.1 but I'd leave them be just in case some application needs them. There is no harm in having more than one version of .NET installed. Some applications require a certain version.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Hans.

I have a router and good up to date firewall (Bullguard) so I will take your advice and ignore the Secuna warning. I am a believer in "if it ain't broke don't fix it"

Thank you very much for the good advice.

Noel

Thanks
    [quote name='NoelM' post='790904' date='27-Aug-2009 08:21'][/quote]
    Interestingly, my Secunia scan did not flag v2.0.50727 as being insecure. If you want to confirm exactly what versions you have, the following may be of interest:

MSDN: How to determine which versions of the .NET Framework are installed and whether service packs have been applied