Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I just came across this archiving utility called IZArc. It appears from the information on the website that it can handle just about any/all types of compressed files, e.g., 7zip, RAR, ISO, zip, etc.

Has anyone tried this puppy out? It looks like it would be worth trying. Admittedly, I'm a WinRAR user and doubt I would cease using it even if this one is decent.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='Pilgrim' post='790709' date='26-Aug-2009 04:06']I just came across this archiving utility called IZArc. It appears from the information on the website that it can handle just about any/all types of compressed files, e.g., 7zip, RAR, ISO, zip, etc.

Has anyone tried this puppy out? It looks like it would be worth trying. Admittedly, I'm a WinRAR user and doubt I would cease using it even if this one is decent. [/quote]

I tried it some time ago (> 1 year and < 3 years). Don't remember why I decided to change. Could've been the lack of updates. Using 7-zip now.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I also tried it a couple of years ago. Had "issues" with file associations which IZArc repeatedly "hijacked".
    Checked out their forum and was concerned was the number of posts with no response.
    At the same time I was looking at PowerArchiver which was my final choice.

Edit: Should note PowerArchiver is not free.
    Windows XP SP3

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Pilgrim' post='790709' date='26-Aug-2009 19:06']I just came across this archiving utility called IZArc. It appears from the information on the website that it can handle just about any/all types of compressed files, e.g., 7zip, RAR, ISO, zip, etc.

Has anyone tried this puppy out? It looks like it would be worth trying. Admittedly, I'm a WinRAR user and doubt I would cease using it even if this one is decent. [/quote]
    Like you, I use WinRAR as my main gun, but do have IZArc installed as well. I use it specifically for looking at (in) .iso files. It's only a small program to keep installed on your HD as an extra "handy tool".

Alan

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='AlanMiller' post='792363' date='06-Sep-2009 18:44']Like you, I use WinRAR as my main gun, but do have IZArc installed as well. I use it specifically for looking at (in) .iso files.[/quote]
    Unless I'm mistaken, WinRAR is capable of "looking in" .iso files. ISO files is listed in the list of associations which is unchecked by default.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Pilgrim' post='792456' date='08-Sep-2009 07:20']Unless I'm mistaken, WinRAR is capable of "looking in" .iso files. ISO files is listed in the list of associations which is unchecked by default.[/quote]
    Yep, it does. I just prefer IZArc for this because I use it as part of a portable toolkit to look at .iso files, so keep it that way on my desktop too, so as not to confuse myself... there are many other ways I can manage that!

Alan

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='AlanMiller' post='792478' date='07-Sep-2009 21:47']Yep, it does. I just prefer IZArc for this because I use it as part of a portable toolkit to look at .iso files, so keep it that way on my desktop too, so as not to confuse myself... there are many other ways I can manage that! [/quote]
    FYI, WinRAR also comes in a "Portable" version: WinRAR Unplugged which you can run from a USB drive, external hdd, etc. I keep a copy of it on my USB thumbdrives as part of my "portable toolkit".
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator