Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Vacation Time (2000 SR1)

Time for a vacation. Wish I could take you all with me. Instead, I'll pose a question.

I know I can use Outlook's Out of the Office feature to send a 1-time reply to EVERYONE who sends me email while this is active. However, I only want this reply to go to people in the company. Don't care about outsiders, including all the spammers (hmmm, maybe I should reconsider that). I've checked thru the rules that I can add and it is NOT obvious to me how to ensure the reply only goes to people in the company and not outside. Last time I was gone with this feature on, I noticed it did go outside the company as well as inside. Any suggestions?

Thks in advance.

Fred (soon to be sunning on a nice Pacific Island beach)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Vacation Time (2000 SR1)

To my knowledge, if you want to turn off the Out of Office assistant outside of the office, you have to turn it off for everyone as it is a server setting. The only other thing I can think of would be to create a rule that would automatically reply to the employees in your company (we have an EVERYONE group that I add to my rule), but I think that would reply each time a person sent you an email. I'm not sure that there is a perfect answer, and someone else may have a better solution. I know that there have been seveal posts on this topic, but I don't know if they'd address your specific question.

Hope this helps!
    Becky

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Becky,

thks for the quick answer. I'd have to get our sys admin people to put in an EVERYONE in our Global Address List, something I don't think would happen very quickly (maybe for my next vacation). But the thought of everyone getting an out-of-office email from me EVERY time they send me email is not desirable.

So maybe my answer will be not to say I'm out of the office.

Fred

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If you use Tools | Out of Office Assistant then people on your Exchange site will only get the message once. I don't know about senders not on your site. This is a server-side, server setting. Almost every Exchange admin. disables out of office for SMTP addresses (outside mail). It would be unusual for yours to be on, but if you know outsiders got your reply before, then it must be enabled.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I tried an experiment - accidentally. I enabled the Out of Office Assistant before I was actually out of the office. I then got some email from outside. Junk email at that. But then I got an email, probably from their postmaster, saying my email could not be delivered and attaching my email - which was my Out of Office msg. So I disabled the whole thing.

But thanks.

Fred