Lounger
    Thanks
    My home network of 5 computers had been working flawlessly. But after a recent Microsoft update and also driver updates, I have the following serious problems:

My main computer (xi-main) can ping by IP address all the other computers. It can ping by name only ONE of the other computers and it can share files with that computer. When it tries to ping by name the other 3 computers, I get an error message that it could not find the host (computername).

The other 3 computers cannot ping xi-main by either name or IP address, and all four can ping and share files with each other.

All computers can use the internet with no problems (via satellite) and a router.

I am at a total loss.

All 5 computers use XP Pro, Service pack 3 and my network is wired.

Someone please help.

Thanks,
    Sheila

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I had a major networking access problem a while back. What solved it, was shut ALL machines down, reset modem, router, then bring EACH computer up ONE at a time. When all machines are up and running, check it out. On my systems, all it needed was a nice clean start of the network.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Dave,

I tried, but that didn't work. However, I finally did find out the solution. It was an update from my firewall that added a line in Local Area Connections properties. When I unchecked it, everything returned to normal. I contacted tech support and told them what was happening and they walked me through changing some settings and everything is fine now.

Thanks!
    Sheila

[quote name='DaveA' post='790810' date='26-Aug-2009 17:31']I had a major networking access problem a while back. What solved it, was shut ALL machines down, reset modem, router, then bring EACH computer up ONE at a time. When all machines are up and running, check it out. On my systems, all it needed was a nice clean start of the network.[/quote]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='sheilacaim' post='790882' date='26-Aug-2009 20:14']... an update from my firewall that added a line in Local Area Connections properties. When I unchecked it, everything returned to normal.[/quote]
    Sheila, if that (now) un-checked line is still present in your connections properties window, is it possible for you to make a screenshot showing what's on the line and post it here, just in case the same malady hits another Lounger some time, please?

And you didn't say which firewall you're using. Is it the Windows built-in?

Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='790920' date='27-Aug-2009 09:56']Sheila, if that (now) un-checked line is still present in your connections properties window, is it possible for you to make a screenshot showing what's on the line and post it here, just in case the same malady hits another Lounger some time, please?

And you didn't say which firewall you're using. Is it the Windows built-in?[/quote]
    Al, I attached a screen shot and uploaded it, but I'm not sure if it went with this post or somewhere else. If you can't find it, please tell me how to send it.

The line that caused the problem is "Sunbelt Software Firewall NDIS Filter". It is now checked again, because Sunbelt also had me check everything that showed up in the Firewall's "Network Security/Trusted Area". They said that the Firewall wouldn't work if I didn't recheck that line. Since the additional stuff is now also checked, everything does work fine.

I hope this can help someone else!

Sheila

[attachment=85295:2009_08_28_054513.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images