Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a 4 year old computer with a 350Gb IDE hard disk. The kids have filled this to about 80% full with their wretched games. I hoped this would be largely deletable saves but it isn't. Some of these games are more than 6Gb without any saves! Anyway, rant over. I'm thinking of adding a second IDE disk as all the necessary cables seem to be there, but I'm not sure about the status of slave disks. I presume when I add the new disk Windows (XP) will allocate a new drive letter. Will the new disk be like an external hard disk, i.e. just extra storage, or will I (they!) be able to install programs on it, as on the main hard disk?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It will NOT be like a external USB drive.

Since it will be a internal drive, the drive letter will be assigned by Windows and/or the BIOS.
    Yes, you will be able to install programs on it, but, remember that on most programs some of the install is in Windows folders on the C drive.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    [quote name='Treecreeper' post='790807' date='26-Aug-2009 13:03'][/quote]
    Dave reply is spot on the nose but to add to his comment.

( "but, remember that on most programs some of the install is in Windows folders on the C drive". )

Most programs will give you the choice of drives and folder names when installing them. So you could just change the drive location to D:/ or whatever letter Windows assigns to the new drive.

Just think of it as another hard drive without the Operating System on it.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Dave. Sounds like it's worth doing, even if I encounter programs that have to put files on c:

...and thanks Bob (Viking33)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    And just to add a comment for laughs! If you've got a 350 GB drive and your kids have put so much on it as you describe, to fill it to 80%, it's time to put some "restrictions" on said younguns! (joking, but...)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Another question on my prospective new disk, which will be SATA not IDE as I mistakenly said. I'm not sure what I need to buy in addition to the disk itself. I will need a SATA cable which I presume plugs into the socket on the motherboard next to the one in use for the master disk:

[attachment=85333:SATA1b.jpg]

There are no spare SATA power connectors but Amazon sells an adaptor which will enable me to power the new disk from one of the Molex sockets.

[attachment=85334:SATA2b.jpg]

What I need to know is, do I also need to buy the metal clips at each side of the disk? You press them to release the disk but I'm not sure if they're integral with the disk. There aren't any spares in the case.

Thanks
    TC
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Treecreeper' post='791479' date='31-Aug-2009 15:29']...
    What I need to know is, do I also need to buy the metal clips at each side of the disk? You press them to release the disk but I'm not sure if they're integral with the disk. There aren't any spares in the case.
    ...[/quote]
    You may need drive rails, or it may be possible to screw the drive directly to the case. Have a good look around the case and you may see a slot where you can screw in a 3.5" disk drive without using rails.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Treecreeper' post='791479' date='31-Aug-2009 15:29']What I need to know is, do I also need to buy the metal clips at each side of the disk? You press them to release the disk but I'm not sure if they're integral with the disk. There aren't any spares in the case.[/quote]

My Mesh PC came with spare rails screwed to the inside of the lift-off side of the case (that you take off to upgrade). I didn't discover this until after I'd had the side off a couple of times because I always took it off and laid it aside with the inside away from me. Just a thought...
    John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)

Lounger
    Thanks
    You're right Jon - thanks also Stuart - I had another look inside the case and guess what's attached to the side panel...

[attachment=85339:Mesh_case2.JPG]

...spare drive rails! I'll definitely use them as it looks like attaching the new disk directly could only be done by removing the whole cage, a very difficult looking job.

An unrelated question. In the picture you can see a fan built into the side panel. Mesh has left this disconnected with the power lead wrapped round the tube which surrrounds the fan. I'm wondering if this is an oversight or if this fan really is redundant...in which case why would Mesh have fitted it. Perhaps it's only required if additional hardware, e.g. a second graphics card, is added?

TC
    Attached Images Attached Images

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, my case looks exactly like that except that my fan is powered up... If the temperature of your CPU is ok (look here for monitoring programs) you probably don't need to hook it up. I'm sure those nice folk at Mesh know what they're doing...
    John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)

Thanks
    [quote name='Treecreeper' post='791504' date='31-Aug-2009 11:48']An unrelated question. In the picture you can see a fan built into the side panel. Mesh has left this disconnected with the power lead wrapped round the tube which surrrounds the fan. I'm wondering if this is an oversight or if this fan really is redundant...in which case why would Mesh have fitted it. Perhaps it's only required if additional hardware, e.g. a second graphics card, is added?

TC[/quote]
    IF you've got it...use it.
    Perhaps the person who assembled the components just neglected to hook it up when the side panel was put in place. It certainly wouldn't hurt anything, unless the fan is a rather noisy one.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks...I'll connect it and see how much noise it makes