Star Lounger
    Novi Sad, Serbia and Montenegro (Yugoslavia)
    Thanks
    I saw one interesting thing in my mailbox today, but I don't know is it joke or truth.

I received a mail from address google-online-promotions2009@dlgmail.dk with subject "Success Alert (Thanks for using google)". Message is about prize(if it is really prize) that I won, and that is not small(several hundred thousand GBP). There are several detals about how to realize it, and one mail address of a man who can help me to realize it.

is it joke or truth(I think that this is joke, but I am not sure)?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    It will be a scam, do not reply to the email.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    This kind of e-mail is neither a joke nor real. If you'd reply, they'd try to get you to provide details about your bank account etc., or to pay them an advance to make it possible to pay you the large sum - which you would never get.

IMPORTANT: You should not reply to such e-mails, just delete them.

Star Lounger
    Novi Sad, Serbia and Montenegro (Yugoslavia)
    Thanks
    I was confused because of an e-mail address from which e-mail was sent to me.

Thanks
    [quote name='slaven_savic' post='790916' date='27-Aug-2009 10:23']I was confused because of an e-mail address from which e-mail was sent to me.[/quote]
    One of the bigger problems with SPAM and phishing scams is the ability of the spammers to use false 'From:" fields which prevent a lot of spam filtering from working.

It may even be that someone you know picked up some malware which broadcast their address book, resulting in a ready-made mailing list which the spammer could use to create apparently trustworthy emails.

Bottom line - whoever the email says it is from, be prepared to treat it with some scepticism

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='slaven_savic' post='790867' date='26-Aug-2009 21:17']I saw one interesting thing in my mailbox today, but I don't know is it joke or truth.

I received a mail from address google-online-promotions2009@dlgmail.dk with subject "Success Alert (Thanks for using google)". Message is about prize(if it is really prize) that I won, and that is not small(several hundred thousand GBP). There are several detals about how to realize it, and one mail address of a man who can help me to realize it.

is it joke or truth(I think that this is joke, but I am not sure)?[/quote]No doubt a scam. What I always do is to forward the message including the "internet header" to 'abuse@' whatever the domain the sender's reply to address is. i.e. If he said please reply to scam@gmail.com then forward the message to abuse@gmail.com with the subject "SPAM from one of your users".

In outlook to get the internet headers you need to go to View --> Options and the header information is in the bottom box. Select (CTRL-A) and Copy (CTRL-C) this. Then click on forward and paste (CTRL-V) the header info at the top of the message. Change the subject to "SPAM from one of your users" and send it to the e-mail address I mentioned.

You should get an automated reply saying they are looking into to it. Make sure you select the e-mail address the sender told you to reply to - not the address in the "From" field of the message.

SNOPES has got a good explanation about these scams, if you are interested.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='slaven_savic' post='790867' date='26-Aug-2009 17:17']I received a mail from address google-online-promotions2009 ...[/quote]
    Pasted below is an image taken from my MailWasher screen.
    Sometimes the give-away is just too easy.
    (1) The grammar is not quite up to PayPal standards.
    (2) The deadline (today) is suspiciously close
    (3) Two copies of this email were received within about 15 minutes of each other; doubtless another half-dozen will arrive throughout the day
    (4) There are absolutely no identifying details about my account, for example, not my user name "JupiterPoopiter", nor my account number"'1234567" nor my password "stabinthedark" (just kidding, kidding, kidding!)
    (5) Strangely, the httpS; I don't ever recall seeing PayPal introduced as a secure site; Overkill on the phisher's part, I think.

Doubtless many other clues have escaped my notice ..... but not yours.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (43.7 KB, 2 views)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The most important clue is that the link claims to be to www.paypal.com but as Mailwasher indicates, it links to another site whose URL contains the word paypal but undoubtedly has no association with the real PayPal at all.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='HansV' post='791432' date='31-Aug-2009 06:32']... it links to another site ...[/quote]
    Sometimes it's a laugh to do a whois on one of these, although I'm sure it's possible that PayPal might have an employee named Zhang Jie:

[attachment=85323:2009_08_31_063725.png] . . . .
    Attached Images Attached Images