Thread: Windows 7 Book

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    A special edition of the Windows Secrets newsletter received this morning mentions a new book by Paul McFedries for teaching yourself Windows 7 visually. As a paid subscriber I got to take the sneak preview of the book and it seems to me to be a great format. It's a "picture book" guide to the new OS.

I put this post here because this is currently where Windows 7 stuff is being handled. I will put a reference to this post in our books forum in case anyone there has an interest in Windows 7.

New info leads to today's unscheduled newsletter

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='790957' date='27-Aug-2009 14:27']A special edition of the Windows Secrets newsletter received this morning mentions a new book by Paul McFedries for teaching yourself Windows 7 visually. As a paid subscriber I got to take the sneak preview of the book and it seems to me to be a great format. It's a "picture book" guide to the new OS.[/quote]
    Until 9 September 'Windows Secrets' subscribers can get two chapters of Woody's "Windows 7 All-in-One for Dummies" from the same source! (My link is to the complete book, a mere 888 pages, at Amazon.co.uk)
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='790998' date='27-Aug-2009 12:18']Until 9 September 'Windows Secrets' subscribers can get two chapters of Woody's "Windows 7 All-in-One for Dummies" from the same source! (My link is to the complete book, a mere 888 pages, at Amazon.co.uk)[/quote]

Strange... the front cover graphic for the book at the link you give says "9 books in 1", yet if you click on it to "see inside", the front cover there says "8 books in 1"!
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks
    [quote name='PaulB' post='791004' date='27-Aug-2009 18:12']Strange... the front cover graphic for the book at the link you give says "9 books in 1", yet if you click on it to "see inside", the front cover there says "8 books in 1"![/quote]
    It's probably a compression technique...
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Or perhaps the books are organized like a set of Matryoshka dolls...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='791015' date='27-Aug-2009 15:12']It's probably a compression technique...[/quote]
    Amazon USA says the same thing. Probably an 11th hour change, huh? Perhaps Woody will see this thread and clarify it...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I received my copy of the newly released Paul McFedries book called "Teach Yourself Visually Windows 7." At a "mere" 325 pages it may not be too difficult to get through. Since it only arrived today I've not had any time to do anything other than scan the chapters to see what the layout is. I'll have to wait until next month when I get my RTM Win 7 to see if it provides any help for someone like me.The "picture book" idea seems to be a good one.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    We were at a bookstore last night and there were no less than 13 NEW Windows 7 books, including Windows Secrets.
    They started at about $21.00 and up to $49.00 USD.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    We were back to the same book store today and there are 21 different Windows 7 books, by Thursday, only Lord knows how they will have.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.