Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

By exercising strict version control when rebuilding my template, I have been able to identify the source of a corruption. It seems to originate from a landscape page that is inserted via autotext. The Open and Repair error box refers to 5 instances of text boxes, and one of a drawn object. I have now stripped out the autotext landscape page, and the template is no longer corrupt.

I still need to be able to insert a correctly formatted landscape page into the template (as when a portrait page is converted via Page Setup, the items in the headers and footers mis-align), but when I pre-inserted one, it confused the users, especially when they inadvertently deleted a section break that resulted in the whole template going landscape -- so I would prefer to be able to do this dynamically.

Is it worth persevering with the autotext route in light of the corruption (i.e. is there a way to fix it?); or, if not, what other options are there to insert a pre-formatted landscape page on-demand in Word 2003? Iíve attached a template with a perfectly formatted landscape page as an example (with the autotext landscape page removed), as well as the error box for the corruption.

Many thanks,
    Sam
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    It's very difficult, if not impossible, to find out what exactly Word considers to be document corruption.

I created an AutoText entry from the landscape page in your template, then saved the template.
    If I open and repair the template, Word claims that the first text box is damaged. If I let Word repair it and save the template, the next time exactly the same happens.
    I created a document from the template and inserted the AutoText entry, then saved the document.
    If I open and repair the document, there are no error messages.
    Go figure! I have no idea how significant the "damage" is. Perhaps you should just ignore it.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Sam577' post='791000' date='27-Aug-2009 12:28']Hi,

By exercising strict version control when rebuilding my template, I have been able to identify the source of a corruption. It seems to originate from a landscape page that is inserted via autotext. The Open and Repair error box refers to 5 instances of text boxes, and one of a drawn object. I have now stripped out the autotext landscape page, and the template is no longer corrupt.

I still need to be able to insert a correctly formatted landscape page into the template (as when a portrait page is converted via Page Setup, the items in the headers and footers mis-align), but when I pre-inserted one, it confused the users, especially when they inadvertently deleted a section break that resulted in the whole template going landscape -- so I would prefer to be able to do this dynamically.

Is it worth persevering with the autotext route in light of the corruption (i.e. is there a way to fix it?); or, if not, what other options are there to insert a pre-formatted landscape page on-demand in Word 2003? Iíve attached a template with a perfectly formatted landscape page as an example (with the autotext landscape page removed), as well as the error box for the corruption.

Many thanks,
    Sam[/quote]
    Sam,

Generally speaking, there's no reason why inserting a landscape section via autotext should cause an error.

In the landscape page in your sample template, you've got the footer contents inside a textbox - there's really no need for that textbox; you can achieve the same formatting directly in the footer, so I'd suggest trying that and see if it has any effect on the corruption issue.

You've also got the logo as an inline object inside a textbox - which is probably unnecessarily complicated; considering the error message you got, it would be worth taking that picture out of the textbox - just insert the picture as a floating object - and see if that has any benefit.

hth,
    Gary

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Gary's suggestion looks good - without the text boxes, I don't get any warnings at all with Open and Repair. See attached version.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks so much for all your help -- once the text boxes are removed, the corruption does indeed clear.

Just wondering what the view on tables are -- are tables considered overly complicated to lay out text and graphics in headers and footers (which seems to be the case for text boxes), or are they considered a cleaner, more elegant way than text boxes?

Many thanks,

Sam

[quote name='HansV' post='791017' date='27-Aug-2009 15:23']Gary's suggestion looks good - without the text boxes, I don't get any warnings at all with Open and Repair. See attached version.[/quote]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    In many cases, you should be able to design your headers and footers by placing tab stops on the ruler (preferably in the style definition), but for more complex designs, a table will work well. Word sometimes has problems with extremely large tables, but a table in a header or footer will be small by nature.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks so much for all your help -- once the text boxes are removed, the corruption does indeed clear.

Just wondering what the view on tables are -- are tables considered overly complicated to lay out text and graphics in headers and footers (which seems to be the case for text boxes), or are they considered a cleaner, more elegant way than text boxes?

Many thanks,

Sam

[quote name='HansV' post='791017' date='27-Aug-2009 15:23']Gary's suggestion looks good - without the text boxes, I don't get any warnings at all with Open and Repair. See attached version.[/quote]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    There's no point in asking the same question twice!