Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Spybot S&D System Internals module turned up this registry key as having an incorrect path:
    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\setup.exe]
    "RunAsOnNonAdminInstall"=dword:00000001
    "BlockOnTSNonInstallMode"=dword:00000001
    I'm wondering if "setup" refers to XP setup, or if it might be just some orphaned entry. Any ideas on what's supposed to own it?

Alan

Thanks
    [quote name='AlanMiller' post='791081' date='28-Aug-2009 03:23']Spybot S&D System Internals module turned up this registry key as having an incorrect path:
    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\setup.exe]
    "RunAsOnNonAdminInstall"=dword:00000001
    "BlockOnTSNonInstallMode"=dword:00000001
    [/quote]
    You will have looked at the keys for other software under the App Paths key, and seen that the Default value is often the full path, including an executable file, and a Path value with - surprise! - just the path. (There is quite some variation on what each value holds, and whether or not the Defualt value has any content, or if there is a Path value at all) I don't have a Setup key, so my only suggestion might be that "TS" could be a reference to Terminal Services?

A quick Google on "BlockOnTSNonInstallMode" finds a number of hits, including one where someone says (without references)
    "Actually, it is better to clear the data from the "(Default)" value, and delete the "Path" value completely, yet leave the other two values there and untouched (BlockOnTSNonInstallMode and RunAsOnNonAdminInstall) because they are standard entries for the "setup.exe" registry key."
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for this info. It still doesn't tell me where the path should point or whether Windows does, in fact, own this setup.exe. I think I'll let sleeping dogs lay at this stage, and immediately do nothing.

Alan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    This probably doesn't help you any, Alan, but in that registry section on my installation the only file in the whole tree with a name setup.exe is an ATI file - see attached.

Haven't tried this myself either, but have you searched the C: drive for that file to see how MANY you find? (probably lots, huh?)

[attachment=85296:2009_08_28_062149.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images