Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm wondering if anybody has succeeded in polishing aluminium (kitchen) foil to a mirror-like finish? I'm wanting to improve on its usual cloudy lustre. I recall a reference to chocolate here. Maybe there's some other ideas?

Alan

Thanks
    Have you tried something like Brasso? I'm pretty sure it works, but if it doesn't, you could probably have a good time just inhaling the fumes

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='AlanMiller' post='791137' date='28-Aug-2009 13:16']I'm wondering if anybody has succeeded in polishing aluminium (kitchen) foil to a mirror-like finish? I'm wanting to improve on its usual cloudy lustre. I recall a reference to chocolate here. Maybe there's some other ideas?

Alan[/quote]

I'd ask you why, but it would only give Jezza some KTS ideas, and we like our planet! There are some ideas (and alternatives to alu) here ... for solar cooking.

I'm a little intrigued as the foil we buy here has a shiny (mirror-like) side and a dull side but down under it's probably the reverse

Thanks
    [quote name='Bowlie' post='791153' date='28-Aug-2009 14:57']I'm a little intrigued as the foil we buy here has a shiny (mirror-like) side and a dull side....[/quote]
    I believe it's part of the manufacturing process. The final rolling of the foil is done with two pieces of foil fed through together - I think because it is otherwise too thin to be manageable - and the outer faces are shiny from contact with the rollers, the inner face is dull from being pressed onto another piece of foil.

Or something

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Leif' post='791152' date='28-Aug-2009 09:52']Have you tried something like Brasso? I'm pretty sure it works, but if it doesn't, you could probably have a good time just inhaling the fumes [/quote]
    Oh boy, another memory from the past. One of the reasons I didn't mind "polishing my brass" to a high gloss back in my army days!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Leif' post='791152' date='28-Aug-2009 23:52']Have you tried something like Brasso? I'm pretty sure it works, but if it doesn't, you could probably have a good time just inhaling the fumes [/quote]
    I tried Brasso and it did improve the lustre a bit - the fumes were good though.
    I was actually wanting to get from this sort of thing:

to something like this:
    That is, just sharpen a reflection.

Alan

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bowlie' post='791153' date='28-Aug-2009 23:57']I'd ask you why, but it would only give Jezza some KTS ideas, and we like our planet! There are some ideas (and alternatives to alu) here ... for solar cooking.

I'm a little intrigued as the foil we buy here has a shiny (mirror-like) side and a dull side but down under it's probably the reverse [/quote]
    Good thinking! I'll tape some to the ceiling and try polishing it from underneath.

Alan

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='AlanMiller' post='791157' date='28-Aug-2009 10:15']Good thinking! I'll tape some to the ceiling and try polishing it from underneath.

Alan[/quote]

I think that the best product you will find for polishing aluminum is Nevr-Dull. If, as I suspect, you have a problem locating it in Oz, find a friend in the aviation business and ask what they use to polish unpainted aircraft skin.

Good luck.
    Regards
    Don

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='wdwells' post='791163' date='28-Aug-2009 10:46']I think that the best product you will find for polishing aluminum is Nevr-Dull. If, as I suspect, you have a problem locating it in Oz, find a friend in the aviation business and ask what they use to polish unpainted aircraft skin.

Good luck.[/quote]

That doesn't look like foil to me, but if whatever it is is if it is strong enough to be polished, I would suggest buffing it instead. An electric drill with a buffer on it will do the job, and if you don't have one of those, try a floor polisher (two pads!) if you have one of those. Use the buffers, not the brushes.

Thanks
    [quote name='AlanMiller' post='791156' date='28-Aug-2009 15:13']I was actually wanting to get from this sort of thing.....

to something like this.....

That is, just sharpen a reflection.[/quote]
    Well, why didn't you say?

Print and cut out this:

[attachment=85301:x.jpg]

and glue it to the metal plate. Looks nice and sharp from here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg x.jpg (7.8 KB, 0 views)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='wdwells' post='791163' date='29-Aug-2009 00:46']I think that the best product you will find for polishing aluminum is Nevr-Dull. If, as I suspect, you have a problem locating it in Oz, find a friend in the aviation business and ask what they use to polish unpainted aircraft skin.

Good luck.[/quote]
    Thanks Don. I'll see if I can chase that lead. The guy across the back does work restoring aircraft. Time to (re)visit the neighbours.

Alan

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='peterg' post='791167' date='29-Aug-2009 00:54']That doesn't look like foil to me, but if whatever it is is if it is strong enough to be polished, I would suggest buffing it instead. An electric drill with a buffer on it will do the job, and if you don't have one of those, try a floor polisher (two pads!) if you have one of those. Use the buffers, not the brushes.[/quote]
    Like they say, "foils ain't foils"... actually the foil I'll be using will be adhered to a rigid substrate. I'll give the lambswool drill buff a whirl <pun> on a mockup and see how it goes. Thanks

Alan

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='AlanMiller' post='791137' date='28-Aug-2009 14:16']I'm wondering if anybody has succeeded in polishing aluminium (kitchen) foil to a mirror-like finish? I'm wanting to improve on its usual cloudy lustre. I recall a reference to chocolate here. Maybe there's some other ideas?

Alan[/quote]

A classic one that was here in the Lounge many moons ago was how to light a fire with a chocolate bar[choccy bar] and a can of Coke. Take the foil wrapper off the [choccy bar] dab a piece of the choccy on it and then get the can of Coke and rub it on the concave base, continue to do it and eventually it shines like a brand new button.
    Jerry

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Leif' post='791168' date='29-Aug-2009 01:18']Well, why didn't you say?

Print and cut out this and glue it to the metal plate. Looks nice and sharp from here.[/quote]
    I really don't know where to begin in expressing my appreciation. If you'd be so kind as to turn around, I've something sharp to endow upon (into?) your good self in a gesture of reciprocation.

Alan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast