Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This might be a dumb question, but I haven't been following this topic. Is beta testing for Word 2010 closed?

If not, how would I apply? Is there another way I could get a "preview" copy?

I'm thinking it could be very helpful for a future book similar to the one I wrote this past spring about Word 2007.

Thanks in advance,

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

Thanks
    [quote name='janbphd' post='791183' date='28-Aug-2009 10:40']Is there another way I could get a "preview" copy?[/quote]
    Since you can establish that you are a published author, I suggest trying Microsoft's "press" operations: http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/presski...ce/Default.aspx.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll check into that. Thanks!

Do you know anyone in particular at Microsoft to whom I should address a request? (Sometimes these things go more smoothly when you're able to single out a specific individual...)

Jan

Thanks
    [quote name='janbphd' post='791221' date='28-Aug-2009 14:14']Do you know anyone in particular at Microsoft to whom I should address a request? (Sometimes these things go more smoothly when you're able to single out a specific individual...)[/quote]
    Sorry, I have no inside info.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='janbphd' post='791183' date='28-Aug-2009 12:40']This might be a dumb question, but I haven't been following this topic. Is beta testing for Word 2010 closed?

I'm thinking it could be very helpful for a future book similar to the one I wrote this past spring about Word 2007.

Thanks in advance,

Jan[/quote]

There is no BETA release yet. There was a CTP release in July. You may still be able to sign up for it by going to Microsoft Connect - Product Feedback and Bug Reporting | Microsoft Connect.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, guys.

Joe, can you explain what a CTP release is and how it differs from a beta? I just looked up CTP in Wikipedia and -- fabulous resource that it is -- it does give some clues about "community technology previews," but I'm not at all clear on when, how, and why they are used and what the relationship between a CTP release and a beta is. (Sounds as though a CTP release is similar to an open beta.)

Your post seems to suggest that there will be a beta at some point. If so, that's probably something I should look into as well. I guess I need to start doing some research (I've got other projects in the pipeline, and as a result I haven't been thinking much about Word 2010 until very recently).

Also, I took a quick look at the Microsoft Connect site you linked to, and I note that they require a "Windows Live ID." I'm a little leery of "Passport" and similar sign-on programs because of privacy issues and such. Am I being over-cautious? Are there legitimate reasons to be concerned, or should I throw caution to the winds and sign up?

Appreciate your help.

Jan

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='janbphd' post='791250' date='29-Aug-2009 01:25']Thanks, guys.

Joe, can you explain what a CTP release is and how it differs from a beta? I just looked up CTP in Wikipedia and -- fabulous resource that it is -- it does give some clues about "community technology previews," but I'm not at all clear on when, how, and why they are used and what the relationship between a CTP release and a beta is. (Sounds as though a CTP release is similar to an open beta.)

Your post seems to suggest that there will be a beta at some point. If so, that's probably something I should look into as well. I guess I need to start doing some research (I've got other projects in the pipeline, and as a result I haven't been thinking much about Word 2010 until very recently).

Also, I took a quick look at the Microsoft Connect site you linked to, and I note that they require a "Windows Live ID." I'm a little leery of "Passport" and similar sign-on programs because of privacy issues and such. Am I being over-cautious? Are there legitimate reasons to be concerned, or should I throw caution to the winds and sign up?

Appreciate your help.

Jan[/quote]

This is an answer unrelated to the question, but I can confirm that I have both Office 10 and Visio 10, and both already are and presumably will be available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

What I am really doing in that reply is confirming that 64-bit is mainstream, which was a recent thread, and Windows 7, which I am now running on three computers all of which might be considered underpowered, is very efficient. Interestingly enough, ReadyBoost seems to do what it was supposed to do but didn't seem to do under Vista, so you might give that a try before installing more RAM.

Thanks
    [quote name='janbphd' post='791250' date='28-Aug-2009 22:25']Also, I took a quick look at the Microsoft Connect site you linked to, and I note that they require a "Windows Live ID." I'm a little leery of "Passport" and similar sign-on programs because of privacy issues and such. Am I being over-cautious? Are there legitimate reasons to be concerned, or should I throw caution to the winds and sign up?[/quote]
    My Windows Live ID is my Hotmail username, so as I register for more Microsoft services, I am linking that information together in a manner that could potentially be interesting to someone. Since my use of Hotmail is extremely light, it's not a problem for me. I can't recall whether I've linked my Windows Live ID with my Passport; as far as I know, I still have two different logins.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='janbphd' post='791250' date='29-Aug-2009 00:25']Thanks, guys.

Also, I took a quick look at the Microsoft Connect site you linked to, and I note that they require a "Windows Live ID." I'm a little leery of "Passport" and similar sign-on programs because of privacy issues and such. Am I being over-cautious? Are there legitimate reasons to be concerned, or should I throw caution to the winds and sign up?[/quote]

Last first. If you have a hotmail account you have a Windows Live Id already. I've got a couple of hotmail accounts and a live account. I use the hotmail accounts for throw away stuff at home & at work. I got the live account just in case I want to use it as my main account. I also use it for Microsoft Connect and other Microsoft activities.

A CTP release is between alpha and beta releases. There is enough done to start getting feed back from the user community. However, a CTP is generally not feature complete and should be considered unstable (although YMMV). A CTP is also generally a limited release - either private or a relatively small number of first come first served public users. It seems as though software OEMs have changed or blurred the definition of release types. You seldom see alpha used as a public designation anymore with CTP having taken over that role. Often with BETA now a vendor only fixes the most serious problems. You seldom see significant changes once a product hits BETA. RC (Release Canididate) seems only to be for performance testing now. The only changes made to a RC are "show stoppers".

As fas as Office 2010 goes, Microsoft have said there will be a public BETA. I don't recall seeing a time frame. I'd guess that with the current projected release of Q2 2010 there will be a public BETA before end of 2009.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='janbphd' post='791183' date='28-Aug-2009 13:40']This might be a dumb question, but I haven't been following this topic. Is beta testing for Word 2010 closed?

Thanks in advance,

Jan[/quote]

One suggestion regarding the matter of a book is that you may, if you can perform the right searches, be able to monitor what the guinea pigs are doing without having to take any software risks of your own. As you might expect, there are newsgroups among the guinea pigs and with Microsoft, and if you can find any that you can access, you can follow the action from a ringside seat. It's just like visiting The Lounge.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I have moved this topic from our Word forum to the Beta Software forum, which is the best place to discuss software that has not yet been released to the general public.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I didn't realize there was a Beta Software forum.

In any case, thanks to all who have responded. If the public beta hasn't started yet, and if it's likely to start sometime this year, I might wait for that. For purposes of a Word 2010 book, it would be helpful to have a version that is similar in most respects to the one that will be released. (I might contact Microsoft directly, too.)

To answer a couple of specific comments:

If you have a hotmail account...
    I don't.

Not sure I want to get tangled up with the Windows Live ID thing. Will investigate further.

In reply to Peter, as a trainer (and as an author of software manuals), I need to work directly with an application in order to know from first-hand experience how it works. If I didn't do so, I wouldn't be able to give accurate, expert guidance to my training clients, my students, and the people who read my books (and my blog). Having the software means that I can test it, figure out workarounds for glitches or things that don't work as expected, and write step-by-step tutorials. It also allows me to take screenshots to demonstrate specific features.

I can't imagine doing those things from the sidelines.

Jan

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    [quote name='jscher2000' post='791188' date='28-Aug-2009 14:32']Since you can establish that you are a published author, I suggest trying Microsoft's "press" operations: http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/presski...ce/Default.aspx.[/quote]
    And then there's http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010/ where you can sign up for information on O2010 and the beta. You can also learn about some of the new features here:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoft_office_wor...experience.aspx

Still, the technical preview is just a preview. Some things appear, for example, in the customize the ribbon screen that are not in the CTP (consumer technical preview) version of the ribbon. Most differences like that should be gone by the time MS releases the beta.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    One does NOT need to have a Hotmail account. One can use most any email address to make an "Passport" access account. Or even make a Live.com account. I have had a Live.com address now for almost a year and yet to receive any unselected messages from any one including Microsoft.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You don't need a Hotmail address. It's possible to get a Windows Live ID with any e-mail address:

[attachment=85317:x.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.png (9.5 KB, 0 views)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast