New Lounger
    Thanks
    I recently did a clean installation of XP. After that I reinstalled Adobereader6 which I had used before. When I click on "File" there is no 'bookshelf as before. On googling I found this--AdbeAcrobat/Reader6x (or greater) stores ebooks in a "Bookshelf". Your Bookshelf can be found as a menu item under the "File" menu, or as a button in the ADobeAcrobat tool bar. I cannot find any bookshelf under the file menu. But previously I did. What has happened? please help.

Thanks
    [quote name='gedera' post='791353' date='30-Aug-2009 11:20']I recently did a clean installation of XP. After that I reinstalled Adobereader6 which I had used before. When I click on "File" there is no 'bookshelf as before. On googling I found this--AdbeAcrobat/Reader6x (or greater) stores ebooks in a "Bookshelf". Your Bookshelf can be found as a menu item under the "File" menu, or as a button in the ADobeAcrobat tool bar. I cannot find any bookshelf under the file menu. But previously I did. What has happened? please help.[/quote]
    Hello and welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Adobe Reader 6 is very old and so very few people are likely to be able to help. Support for Bookshelf was removed in v8 (see this webpage) The current version of Adobe Reader that I'm using is v9.1.3.

See if this information about Bookshelf in Adobe Reader 7 is of any use to you...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='791354' date='30-Aug-2009 05:44']Hello and welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Adobe Reader 6 is very old and so very few people are likely to be able to help. Support for Bookshelf was removed in v8 (see this webpage) The current version of Adobe Reader that I'm using is v9.1.3.

See if this information about Bookshelf in Adobe Reader 7 is of any use to you...[/quote]

Thank you. I think what happened is that I was using Adobereader 6 on win98. When I upgraded to XP,most of the programs worked, even on XP. But when I reinstalled XP. it was the same as installing Adobereder6 on XP. And it seems that it is not possible to install ver.6 on XP without losing some facilities. As for Adobereader9, it seems bloated and has many additions that I will never use.For instance Bookshelves is replaced by 'My Digital Editions' which takes you to Adobe Media Store, and I am not sure that it gives you a similar Bookshelf. As for converting Word file to pdf files, I have a simple program on MSWords that does the job. and being taken to Adobe Media Store automatically is not what I want. thank yo again.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    All versions of Adobe Reader suffer from unnecessary bloating, but I found Adobe Reader 9 to be somewhat faster than earlier versions.

If you want a fast, efficient and less bulky PDF reader, try Foxit Reader 3.0 for Windows (free). It doesn't have a bookshelf feature though.