Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello again..
    I have managed to install my wireless broadband router. Well, at least partially. I would like to ask for help now because I think I've gotten myself into a real mess.
    I have spoken to tech support for Netgear, and the gentleman there was not really much help.

This is the situation. I have a Netgear wireless modem router attached to my phone line and the Ethernet port on my computer. My network adapter is Intel ®82566CD 2 Gigabit Network Connection.
    I plugged the router in, connected it to the phone line, attached it to the Ethernet port and turned it on.
    I answered all the questions and changed my admin name, SSID and provided a password. I pu the installation CD in the drive on my desktop and answered all the questions.
    I put in my ISP settings and I was on the internet.
    I found it a bit funny that no drivers got installed and Vista didn't quack about new hardware.

I then installed a network adapter on my laptop. It installed fine and detected the wireless modem and i am on the internet with that as well.

Now, my problem.
    From the Network and Sharing Center, I can't see the wireless network. I can see the network (and mylaptop) from a program called Intel Viiv Media Server, but am unable to do anything but see it.
    I tried to 'set up a wireless connection' from the Network and Sharing Center but it wants a username and password which, in spite of the fact that i wrote everything down really carefully, don't work.

Help.
    Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='Peppurr101' post='791362' date='30-Aug-2009 09:15']Now, my problem.
    From the Network and Sharing Center, I can't see the wireless network. I can see the network (and mylaptop) from a program called Intel Viiv Media Server, but am unable to do anything but see it.
    I tried to 'set up a wireless connection' from the Network and Sharing Center but it wants a username and password which, in spite of the fact that i wrote everything down really carefully, don't work.[/quote]

See if Troubleshooting file shares on a home network - Woody's Lounge helps.

If you still have problems please post the answers to all the questions.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='791412' date='31-Aug-2009 02:59']See if Troubleshooting file shares on a home network - Woody's Lounge helps.

If you still have problems please post the answers to all the questions.

Joe[/quote]

Hi Joe,
    Thank you.. will have a look and post answers.
    Working now but perhaps in tomorrow.
    THanks for your reply.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Peppurr101' post='791507' date='31-Aug-2009 16:52']Hi Joe,
    Thank you.. will have a look and post answers.
    Working now but perhaps in tomorrow.
    THanks for your reply.
    [/quote]

Joe,
    I think I solved my problem.
    Computer #1 Desktop with Windows Vista with Intel ®82566CD 2 Gigabit Network Connection attached via Ethernet cable to my Netgear DGN2000 wirelesss N modem router.
    Computer #2 Laptop Windows ME with a Netgear 54mbps G USB 2.0 network adapter.
    I can get on the internet via the wireless network on the laptop and through the modem router (LAN network is listed) on the desktop, but neither computer can see the other and I can't see where to share files or folders. On the desktop and the laptop, ny network discovery only turns up the Intel Network connection but no other computers.

Could it be that Computer #1, the desktop, has only a wired network connection and comes without wireless capabilities and do I need to buy a network adapter for that as well?
    Might be a silly question, but the wireless is working (computer #2 connects without a problem) and I know VERY little about networking.

Thanks in advance..

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You do NOT need to have both computers on Wireless for this to work.
    Did you follow the steps in Troubleshooting file shares on a home network - Woody's Lounge?
    What results did you get for each step?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='791787' date='02-Sep-2009 10:30']You do NOT need to have both computers on Wireless for this to work.
    Did you follow the steps in Troubleshooting file shares on a home network - Woody's Lounge?
    What results did you get for each step?[/quote]

Hi Stuart,
    Thank you for replying.

I am working my way through your tutorial now.
    This is as far as I've gotten:

o Please describe your physical network configuration (what routers, switches, broadband connectivity etc.)
    Computer #1 Dell desktop running Vista Home Premium 32 bit with an Intel R 825665DC 2 Gigabit Network connection
    Computer #2 Dell laptop running windows ME with a Netgear WGN111 USB 2.0 network adapter
    The desktop is connected to a Netgear DGN2000 wireless N modem router via Ethernet cable
    The laptop is connected to the router via the USB adapter
    o Do all PCs have ethernet cables connecting them to a common switch or router?
    The desktop is connected via Ethernet, the laptop has no Ethernet and is connected only by wireless
    o Can you see green and orange lights on the network cards and switch, where the ethernet cables plug in? What state are these lights in?
    The light on the back of the desktop where the Ethernet cable is connected is yellow (the manual says detecting a 1000mpbs (1 Gbps) connection. All the lights on the front of the router : ASDL, Wireless, Internet, Power and ‘1’ for the Ethernet cable are all green.
    • Firewalls:
    o If you have a hardware firewall then check that it allows the PCs to talk to each other
    I am not quite sure about the hardware firewall. Is that the router one? If so, the router setup page says it is allowing outbound traffic but not inbound traffic (at least I think that’s what it says

[attachment=85363:Capture.JPG]

o If you have software firewalls on the PCs then check that they allow the PCs to talk to each other
    My network places on the laptop and the Network and Sharing Center on the desktop all have network discovery and file sharing ‘on’. Under personal firewall in Norton Internet Security, there are loads of ‘rules’ some to allow and some are blocked. Are there specific rules I am looking for?
    o Make sure you don't have more than one one software firewall on any of the PCs. If you use a third party software firewall then the built-in Windows firewall should be turned off
    On the desktop, Norton Internet Security firewall is installed and running. Windows firewall is off. The laptop has no firewall
    o If you have ever had any other software firewalls installed then check that they have been completely removed
    No other firewalls

I'm a bit stuck on the IP thing. I did computer #2 first (my WinME laptop)
    If I go the Run dialog box and type ipconfig, the DOS Command Prompt window flashes by too quickly for me to read or capture.
    If I go to Start>Programs>Accessories> DOS Command Prompt, it brings up C:/Windows. If I then type in ipconfig, I get
    4 Ethernet adapters listed 0-3.
    Adapter 0 lists an IP of 5.0.0.0 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.255. No gateway is listed.
    I seem to remember that ipconfig might be a slightly different command in ME?

Computer #1 will have to come off the internet to shut the firewall down, so I will let you know what that comes up with probably tomorrow (off to work now)

One further question. Is it safe to post my IP address and the other numbers on the forum?
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Peppurr101' post='791825' date='02-Sep-2009 17:03']...
    One further question. Is it safe to post my IP address and the other numbers on the forum?
    ...[/quote]
    It is probably safe. If all of your IP addresses are in one of the following ranges:
    • 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255
    • 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
    • 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
    then they are "private" addresses which can only be accessed from your network. If you have any addresses that lie outside those ranges then they are "public" addresses and you should not publish them.

You can't use the RUN command for things like ping, you need to use a command window so you can see the results.

Since you are able to access the Internet from all of your PCs, the most likely issues are
    • Name translation
      • The PING tests will really help here. If we can PING by IP address and not by name then we have a name translation problem to investigate
    • Firewalls
      • If we can't ping then there may well be a firewall problem. This is not likely to be your router firewall but could be a software firewall on any of the PCs. The best troubleshooting approach to confirm this is to temporarily disable all firewalls to see if the problem goes away.
    • Failure to actually share any folders
      • If nothing is shared then you won't see the remote PC. Some of the tests in the troubleshooting script check that you really have shared folders, and try to connect to them using DOS commands
    • Browsing
      • We can use commands such as NET USE to connect to shares on remote PCs even when browsing doesn't work. This would demonstrate that there is a browsing problem.
    I have had a quick look on Google and it appears that Windows ME supports the ipconfig command. That address of 5.0.0.0 sounds very wrong though. Can you double check that again, and compare it to the IP address on the other PC.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='791830' date='02-Sep-2009 17:37']It is probably safe. If all of your IP addresses are in one of the following ranges:
    • 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255
    • 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255
    • 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255
    then they are "private" addresses which can only be accessed from your network. If you have any addresses that lie outside those ranges then they are "public" addresses and you should not publish them.

You can't use the RUN command for things like ping, you need to use a command window so you can see the results.

Since you are able to access the Internet from all of your PCs, the most likely issues are
    • Name translation
      • The PING tests will really help here. If we can PING by IP address and not by name then we have a name translation problem to investigate
    • Firewalls
      • If we can't ping then there may well be a firewall problem. This is not likely to be your router firewall but could be a software firewall on any of the PCs. The best troubleshooting approach to confirm this is to temporarily disable all firewalls to see if the problem goes away.
    • Failure to actually share any folders
      • If nothing is shared then you won't see the remote PC. Some of the tests in the troubleshooting script check that you really have shared folders, and try to connect to them using DOS commands
    • Browsing
      • We can use commands such as NET USE to connect to shares on remote PCs even when browsing doesn't work. This would demonstrate that there is a browsing problem.
    I have had a quick look on Google and it appears that Windows ME supports the ipconfig command. That address of 5.0.0.0 sounds very wrong though. Can you double check that again, and compare it to the IP address on the other PC.[/quote]

Hi Stuart,
    That address of 5.0.0.0 sounds very wrong though. Can you double check that again, and compare it to the IP address on the other PC.
    LOL I thought so too.. really wierd. I will re-verify it.

I just used the Run command for ipconfig. I haven't actually tried to ping yet. Can I clarify? I am pinging through the router with the wireless on, off the internet and with the firewall down?

I need to go to work now, but I'll work my way through the rest and let you know what I come up with..
    Thank you for your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Peppurr101' post='791833' date='02-Sep-2009 17:46']...
    Can I clarify? I am pinging through the router with the wireless on, off the internet and with the firewall down?
    ...[/quote]
    With the equipment connected as described in your previous post. Make sure that both PCs can still successfully access the Internet, then use ipconfig to find the correct IP addresses, then try using the ping command from each PC to its own IP address and to the IP address of the other PC.

If this doesn't work then temporarily disconnect your router from the Internet, turn off ALL firewalls, and try again.

REMEMBER to turn on your firewalls again before you connect back to the Internet.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='791838' date='02-Sep-2009 17:54']With the equipment connected as described in your previous post. Make sure that both PCs can still successfully access the Internet, then use ipconfig to find the correct IP addresses, then try using the ping command from each PC to its own IP address and to the IP address of the other PC.

If this doesn't work then temporarily disconnect your router from the Internet, turn off ALL firewalls, and try again.

REMEMBER to turn on your firewalls again before you connect back to the Internet.[/quote]

Good morning Stuart,
    I think I might have something.
    As I mentioned earlier, computer #2, my winme laptop, has no firewall. No matter what I try, it keeps coming up with that strange IP address.
    Having said that, I did what you said and tried to ping back and forth.
    With my NIS firewall enabled on my desktop:
    I can ping the router, but not the laptop.

With the computer disconnected from the internet, the firewall disabled and the wireless active, I can ping my laptop from my desktop and my desktop from my laptop even that wierd laptop IP.
    I can ping the router from both. with the firewall on or off.

The internet connection that I am on right now is listed under LAN connections. I have changed the SSID for my wireless network when I set it up and I can 'see' it on my laptop but not my desktop.
    As far as Vista is concerned, it doesn't exist.

So, I'm guessing this is my firewall?

Where do I look next?
    Thank you

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Just to confirm that I have really understood this.
    • The IP address of your Windows ME laptop appears to be 5.0.0.0
    • The IP address of your Windows Vista desktop is in one of the ranges I posted earlier (what address is it please)
    • With the firewalls off and the Internet disconnected, you typed "ping 5.0.0.0" on the Windows Vista desktop and the laptop responded
    Although this looks like it is your firewall, it may be that the firewall is protecting you from access by that strange IP address. I really do think we need to understand where this is coming from before we make firewall changes. (According to IANA addresses starting 5. are not assigned to anyone and should not be used).

There are two places your laptop could be getting that IP address from, either the DHCP server on your router, or a hard coded address in the Network setup for Windows ME.

I don't know Windows ME well enough to give you the exact commands to check which of these is happening. Can you please post the output of ipconfig so we can have a look, and can you look in the network properties to see if the address is hard coded, or is set to be assigned automatically.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='791952' date='03-Sep-2009 10:04']Just to confirm that I have really understood this.[/quote]
    • The IP address of your Windows ME laptop appears to be 5.0.0.0
    Yes. There is a subnet mask number, but no gateway. I can't print a screen shot of that, but I have listed exactly what it says below.
  13. The IP address of your Windows Vista desktop is in one of the ranges I posted earlier (what address is it please)
This is what comes up on Vista when I type in 'ipconfig' with the firewall on:
[attachment=85389:Capture_2.JPG]

There are a bunch more Tunnel Adapter Local area Connection numbers below this that won't fit on the screen shot.

• With the firewalls off and the Internet disconnected, you typed "ping 5.0.0.0" on the Windows Vista desktop and the laptop responded
  • Kind of. This is the response I got when I pinged the laptop from the desktop with the firewalll off:
    [attachment=85391:Capture5.JPG]
    This IP address appears to be my router?

When I tried to ping it with the firewall on, there was no response ("all packets lost")
    Although this looks like it is your firewall, it may be that the firewall is protecting you from access by that strange IP address. I really do think we need to understand where this is coming from before we make firewall changes. (According to IANA addresses starting 5. are not assigned to anyone and should not be used).

There are two places your laptop could be getting that IP address from, either the DHCP server on your router, or a hard coded address in the Network setup for Windows ME.

I don't know Windows ME well enough to give you the exact commands to check which of these is happening. Can you please post the output of ipconfig so we can have a look,
    The result of 'ipconfig' in WinME is:
    1 Ethernet adapter
    IP address.................5.0.0.0
    Subnet mask.............255.255.255.255
    Default gateway
    2 Ethernet adapter
    IP address.................0.0.0.0
    Subnet mask............0.0.0.0
    Default gateway
    3 Ethernet adapter
    Subnet mask.............0.0.0.0
    Default gateway
    4 Ethernet adapter
    Subnet mask.............0.0.0.0
    Default gateway

and can you look in the network properties to see if the address is hard coded, or is set to be assigned automatically.
    Sorry Stuart, I'm not sure where to find that. Win ME has 'My Network Places' which, when I open it shows only the shared folders on that computer, and then Control Panel>Network which shows the properties of my network adapters. The Netgear USB adapter is listed there, but I can't seem to find anything that say IP or DHCP...

Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    That is very helpful.

The network is not configured correctly on your Windows ME computer. You have somehow configured it with a hard coded address that is not valid. Your home network should all be in the range 192.168.x.y and this is the range of addresses that will be handed out by DHCP on your gateway.

The message "Destination net unreachable" means that the gateway has no idea where to send packets addressed to 5.0.0.0

I found these instructions for configuring Windows ME to use DHCP to get it's network address. Please try this and see if it fixes your problem.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='792029' date='03-Sep-2009 22:19']That is very helpful.

The network is not configured correctly on your Windows ME computer. You have somehow configured it with a hard coded address that is not valid. Your home network should all be in the range 192.168.x.y and this is the range of addresses that will be handed out by DHCP on your gateway.

The message "Destination net unreachable" means that the gateway has no idea where to send packets addressed to 5.0.0.0

I found these instructions for configuring Windows ME to use DHCP to get it's network address. Please try this and see if it fixes your problem.[/quote]

Hi Stuart,
    I followed the directions you provided for configuring the TCP/IP adapter on my ME machine.

#

Configure TCP/IP Network Protocol

Enter into the Network control window if you do not have it opened.

Click Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> Network.

Install TCP/IP network protocol if it is not present.
    The wireless adapter TCP/IP protocol was already there.

Click Add under the Configuration tab.

Select Protocol and then click Add....

Select Microsoft for the Manufacturers and TCP/IP for the Network Protocols. Then click OK.

Select TCP/IP and then click Properties.

Define the properties of the TCP/IP configuration.

Under the IP Address tab page, select the option to Obtain an IP address automatically.

Under the WINS Configuration tab page, select the option to Use DHCP for WINS Resolution.
    That was set already
    Under the DNS Configuration tab page, select the option to Disable DNS.
    That was set already

Under the Advanced tab page, make sure the box of Set this protocol to be the default protocol is checked, and then click OK to finish the configuration. (If this box is not checked, then another protocol must have been installed as the default protocol. Remove such protocol from the Configuration tab page mentioned in Section C-2 and then come back here to check again.)
    This one I checked then restarted the computer.
    After the computer restarted, I did the ipconfig thing again and the laptop still shows the same IP address 5.0.0.0

I did see the winipcfg command on these instructions and when I typed that into a DOS command prompt, it gave me the network adapter address, IP address, subnet mask and default gateway.
    The address of the USB adapter on the laptop is 192.168.0.3

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Peppurr101' post='792085' date='04-Sep-2009 10:39']The address of the USB adapter on the laptop is 192.168.0.3[/quote]
    Wonderful. So now try issuing the command
    ping 192.168.0.3

First do this from the laptop, to check it is basically functional, then from the desktop PC to see if they can talk to each other.
    Then try pinging the address of the desktop computer from both computers.

Let us know what results this gives for each of the four different attempts.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast