Thread: Sync Software

Thanks
    I am using Microsoft's SyncToy 2 and I know there has to be something better out there, so I am looking for suggestions. Free is nice, but if I have to go to paid, that is Ok as well. I should note that I am syncing from laptop to USB drive then from USB drive to a different laptop, then from that laptop to Pocket drive and to Maxtor drive. A lot of steps, but necessary and wouldn't mind cutting a few out along the way either
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    [quote name='t8ntlikly' post='791389' date='30-Aug-2009 18:49']I am using Microsoft's SyncToy 2 and I know there has to be something better out there, so I am looking for suggestions.[/quote]
    "Better" in what way? SyncToy works perfectly well, in my experience. Do you want to schedule something like RoboCopy, XXCOPY or Karen's Replicator, for example? I do a lot with RoboCopy, both at home and from servers to the 'spare' partitions on workstations at work.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='791393' date='30-Aug-2009 12:13']"Better" in what way? SyncToy works perfectly well, in my experience. Do you want to schedule something like RoboCopy, XXCOPY or Karen's Replicator, for example? I do a lot with RoboCopy, both at home and from servers to the 'spare' partitions on workstations at work.[/quote]
    Thanks BATcher I should have been a little more clear in what I needed.
    Because the Company I work for is very stingy on what they will let us intsall, yup including some Microsoft programs I needed something that would allow me to sync files from that laptop to a USB device, then from there to other devices. What I found is called GoodSync. The version that I have is free, and it will install on a USB device. I tried it out yesterday and it worked perfectly from the USB device to my company laptop,and it was fast as well.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    [quote name='t8ntlikly' post='791663' date='01-Sep-2009 09:50']What I found is called GoodSync. The version that I have is free, and it will install on a USB device. I tried it out yesterday and it worked perfectly from the USB device to my company laptop,and it was fast as well.[/quote]
    But (according to the GoodSync site), the free version is limited to 3 or less sync jobs after the trial period has elapsed. Will that be a concern?
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Thanks
    [quote name='Rebel' post='791676' date='01-Sep-2009 09:32']But (according to the GoodSync site), the free version is limited to 3 or less sync jobs after the trial period has elapsed. Will that be a concern?[/quote]
    I currently have 2 setups. Set up 1 runs Good Sync from the USB Cruzer and syncs the company laptop to it. That is one job.
    I also have it installed on my own laptop and that has 3 jobs associated.
    the number of files however is where the real problem could occur.
    But even if it is a problem I don't mind one bit paying the 30.00 for this. It is fast and easy and is what I have been looking for.
    Thanks John