Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have following shields running: Network, Web, Standard & Internet. Is it advisable to keep all these?
    Also, since my Network is between 2 PCs at home, is this necessary?

Many thanks, Acer

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='acerfmayer' post='791395' date='30-Aug-2009 15:44']I have following shields running: Network, Web, Standard & Internet. Is it advisable to keep all these?
    Also, since my Network is between 2 PCs at home, is this necessary?[/quote]
    Necessary? Maybe yes, maybe no, depending on what you want Avast to "watch" for!

They're all turned on by default and each has an express purpose. The total program is not a hog, in my opinion, so why do you want to turn off one or more of its features? You might be putting yourself at risk, somehow, somewhere....

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='791399' date='30-Aug-2009 18:19']Necessary? Maybe yes, maybe no, depending on what you want Avast to "watch" for!

They're all turned on by default and each has an express purpose. The total program is not a hog, in my opinion, so why do you want to turn off one or more of its features? You might be putting yourself at risk, somehow, somewhere....[/quote]

Evening - I'm still seeking ways to speed up the process and get to work faster.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='acerfmayer' post='791400' date='30-Aug-2009 18:25']Evening - I'm still seeking ways to speed up the process and get to work faster.[/quote]
    Boy Acer, this is just one man's opinion, but I wouldn't imagine you'll get one iota of improvement in (noticeable) "speed" by suspending those functions of Avast.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Tell us more about your system and what programs you use?
    Then we may be able to help with speeding up your system.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='791404' date='30-Aug-2009 19:13']Tell us more about your system and what programs you use?
    Then we may be able to help with speeding up your system.[/quote]

Thanks for your offer, Dave.

Win XP, SP2, Word 2002. Firefox, 3.5.1.
    Startup: Winpatrol; dumprep )-k; ISUSPM; LogMeInSystray; ashDisp [Avast]; Cfmon.

259GHz; 256 MB. (I know thatís paltry, but never was bothered about slowness until I installed Avast. I donít download images. Purely text .)

Iím pretty good re maintenance.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='acerfmayer' post='791476' date='31-Aug-2009 10:18']I'm pretty good re maintenance.[/quote]
    How 'bout a little test, Acer? If you haven't already got it installed, give WhatInStartup a download and install. You might be surprised at what you see that is running without your knowledge. If you like, a screenshot and one or more of us might be able to advise you on a piece or two in there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='791484' date='31-Aug-2009 10:52']How 'bout a little test, Acer? If you haven't already got it installed, give WhatInStartup a download and install. You might be surprised at what you see that is running without your knowledge. If you like, a screenshot and one or more of us might be able to advise you on a piece or two in there.[/quote]

Thanks for your kind offer. As the attached shows, there is nothing running that wasn't in Startup:

[attachment=85338:x.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.png (11.1 KB, 3 views)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='acerfmayer' post='791495' date='31-Aug-2009 10:39']Thanks for your kind offer. As the attached shows, there is nothing running that wasn't in Startup:[/quote]

What were you running before Avast?

I'm guess from your hardware spec that you mean 2.59 GHz. Your machine appears to be woefully short of memory to run a modern Windows application even under XP. Memory is so cheap you should seriously consider adding RAM.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='791502' date='31-Aug-2009 11:45']What were you running before Avast?

I'm guess from your hardware spec that you mean 2.59 GHz. Your machine appears to be woefully short of memory to run a modern Windows application even under XP. Memory is so cheap you should seriously consider adding RAM.

Joe[/quote]

Joe, before Avast it was AVG free. I know memory is meager, but since I don't download movies, pix, etc., it's sufficient for my purposes. I wasn't bothered by slowness until Avast.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='acerfmayer' post='791521' date='31-Aug-2009 11:39']Joe, before Avast it was AVG free. I know memory is meager, but since I don't download movies, pix, etc., it's sufficient for my purposes. I wasn't bothered by slowness until Avast.[/quote]

Most people seem to think that Avast is "lighter" on the system than AVG. But, if you were happy with AVG you can always go back to it.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Yeah, I'm really surprised by your belief that Avast is slowing down your system. I've been running it for two years now and have never felt it to be a problem.

From your screenshot I'd admit that your have a LOT LESS stuff running at startup than most of us, but some of them are questionable to me. You can use WhatInStartup to temporarily "disable" one or more entries, reboot your system and see how it goes. You can always re-enable them with no loss of functionality if you don't like what you get.

I don't run Office but I question the need for CTFMON. Lots of software wants to always be at the ready but I wonder if it helps or not.

One or more of the others could stand a temp disable to see what happens. It's hard for me to comment since I don't run LogMeIn or WinPatrol, nor do I think that the running of that KernelFaultCheck is necessary.

As I freely admit, I'm fishing here, but it's only because I run a somewhat "loaded" system but I don't EVER remember having a complaint that Avast was slowing down my system. Of course, in spite of your contention that you don't "do too much" with your computer, Joe's comment about your memory may very well have a bearing here.

Keep us posted on what (if anything) you decide to try...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Al -

Over the years I've pared my startup items with help of Castlecops

http://www.downloads.subratam.org/startuplist.htm

edited to fix link....sorry, but this goes to a 404 Not Found error, even though I can get to the site..................

Thanks
    [quote name='acerfmayer' post='791726' date='01-Sep-2009 17:28']Hi, Al -

Over the years I've pared my startup items with help of Castlecops

http://www.downloads.subratam.org/startuplist.htm

edited to fix link....sorry, but this goes to a 404 Not Found error, even though I can get to the site..................[/quote]
    Here is the correct link. http://downloads.subratam.org/startuplist.html
    Don't see why yours doesn't work?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='791736' date='01-Sep-2009 23:31']Here is the correct link. http://downloads.subratam.org/startuplist.html
    Don't see why yours doesn't work?[/quote]
    The difference is that your URL ends with .html, the broken one ends in .htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast