Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Actual Analogies and Metaphors Found in High School Essays
    __________________________________________________ ___

Her face was a perfect oval, like a circle that had its two other sides gently compressed by a Thigh Master.

He spoke with the wisdom that can only come from experience, like a guy who went blind because he looked at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it and now goes around the country speaking at high schools about the dangers of looking at a solar eclipse without one those boxes with a pinhole in it.

She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef.

She had a deep, throaty, genuine laugh, like that sound a dog makes just before it throws up.

Her vocabulary was as bad as, like, whatever.

He was as tall as a six-foot-three-inch tree.

From the attic came an unearthly howl. The whole scene had an eerie, surreal quality, like when you're on vacation in another city and Jeopardy comes on at 7:00 p.m. instead of 7:30.

Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

Shots rang out, as shots are wont to do.

The plan was simple, like my brother-in-law Phil. But unlike Phil, this plan just might work.

The young fighter had a hungry look, the kind you get from not eating for a while.

He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck, either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

The ballerina rose gracefully en pointe and extended one slender leg behind her, like a dog at a fire hydrant.

She walked into my office like a centipede with 98 missing legs.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Thanks
    [quote name='Pilgrim' post='791619' date='01-Sep-2009 00:22']Actual Analogies and Metaphors Found in High School Essays[/quote]
    Metaphors be with you...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    So what is an Amaphor?
    Jerry

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jezza' post='791649' date='01-Sep-2009 08:10']So what is an Amaphor?[/quote]
    1. The word is "metaphor"

2. Metaphor (from Latin metaphoria; see the Greek origin below), is a figure of speech or phrase that portrays one word as being or equal to a second object in some way. This device is known for usage in literature, especially in poetry, where with few words, emotions and associations from one context are associated with objects and entities in a different context. It compares two subjects without using 'like' or 'as'. Compared to simile, the metaphor takes us one step further than the simile. Instead of asking us to picture one thing as being like another, the metaphor asks us to picture one thing as being the other. The term derives from Greek μεταφορά (metaphora), or "transference", from μεταφέρω (metaphero) "to carry over, to transfer" and that from μετά (meta), "between" + φέρω (phero), "to bear, to carry".

3. Metaphor examples include: "He showered her with gifts." "My memory is a little foggy." "His mind was caged by depression." "There are plenty of other fish in the sea." “a sea of troubles” or “All the world's a stage”
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jezza' post='791649' date='01-Sep-2009 13:10']So what is an Amaphor?[/quote]

I think it is for ittingin nails

Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='791693' date='01-Sep-2009 14:15']I think it is for ittingin nails[/quote]
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='StuartR' post='791693' date='01-Sep-2009 19:15']I think it is for ittingin nails[/quote]

You get the [choccy bar] Stuart, that used to be one of my daughters favourite jokes
    Jerry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='jezza' post='791702' date='01-Sep-2009 19:53']You get the [choccy bar] Stuart, that used to be one of my daughters favourite jokes [/quote]

Whooppeeee! I haven't had a [choccy bar] for weeks!