New Lounger
    Thanks
    Whenever I encounter a webpage feature which is in pdf form IE8 tries to link to an antique version of pdf reader (version 4, I think) then freezes. Sometimes I can get out of the problem by starting the up to date version of pdf reader I have on my computer (version 8) but it still takes time and often I have to resort to rebooting the computer and starting again with pdf reader v8 program open before I go back into the website.

I don't even have any older version of pdf reader on my computer.

Having checked for advice re similar problems on this site I have gone into the 'Manage add-ons' facility in IE8, and see that pdf reader v8 is on the enabled list there, and no older version is present. and although there looks to be a facility for deleting specific add-ons I can't see how to add new ones. So I can't (or can't risk) deleting the Reader 8 add-on and re-instating it even if that was likely to cure the problem.

This is a replacement computer just a few months old (from a reputable and capable local supply and repair shop) for my previous one which became beyond economic repair (which also had IE8 and Reader 8 but did not have this particular problem), and came with IE8 already installed. Operating system is Windows XP (I'm not touching Vista with a bargepole as long as I can avoid it). I could take the computer back to the shop and get them to sort it out, but can't currently afford to be without my computer for possibly several days.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='ChrisV' post='791640' date='01-Sep-2009 02:29']Whenever I encounter a webpage feature which is in pdf form IE8 tries to link to an antique version of pdf reader (version 4, I think) then freezes. Sometimes I can get out of the problem by starting the up to date version of pdf reader I have on my computer (version 8) but it still takes time and often I have to resort to rebooting the computer and starting again with pdf reader v8 program open before I go back into the website.

I don't even have any older version of pdf reader on my computer.[/quote]

you may want to install the current Adobe Reader (version 9.1) from Adobe - Adobe Reader download. that may take care of everything.

If it does not, you can install and run Download - Personal (PSI) - Vulnerability Scanning - Secunia.com. It will locate old versions of programs and you can tell where it is installed.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='791653' date='01-Sep-2009 09:02']you may want to install the current Adobe Reader (version 9.1) from Adobe - Adobe Reader download. that may take care of everything.

If it does not, you can install and run Download - Personal (PSI) - Vulnerability Scanning - Secunia.com. It will locate old versions of programs and you can tell where it is installed.

Joe[/quote]

Many thanks, that Reader 9.1 download looks to have cured the problem.

Regarsds, ChrisV

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='ChrisV' post='791700' date='01-Sep-2009 13:46']Many thanks, that Reader 9.1 download looks to have cured the problem.

Regarsds, ChrisV[/quote]

You're welcome. Gald you got if worked out. Thanks for posting back.

Joe
    Joe