Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HTML Slideshows

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I've often made HTML slideshows with Irfanview but I don't know how to make one I can put up on my domain that will auto-advance each picture after a user prescribed interval.

I know this must be pretty old hat to many but can you recommend something please?

Maybe the HTML code for Irfanview's created show can be modified to insert a timer, but if so I don't know how to do it.

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='791666' date='01-Sep-2009 15:36']I've often made HTML slideshows with Irfanview but I don't know how to make one I can put up on my domain that will auto-advance each picture after a user prescribed interval.

I know this must be pretty old hat to many but can you recommend something please?

Maybe the HTML code for Irfanview's created show can be modified to insert a timer, but if so I don't know how to do it.[/quote]
    Does it have to be HTML? I've used LPJ Slideshow for JPEGs...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='791670' date='01-Sep-2009 11:18']Does it have to be HTML? I've used LPJ Slideshow for JPEGs...[/quote]
    Well, I'm looking for something that I can put up on my web domain for casual users to view, in an automatic mode where the pix advance at some preset time. Strangely, I just looked at LPJ a few minutes ago and I think it requires PHP for web display and I don't think my domain has PHP. Can you enlighten me further, please? Thanks...

Edited to add:
    Excuse me that wasn't LPJ I just looked at. It was something else. However, I've used LPJ for several years to make locally viewable slide shows and I love the program and its customizability! But I don't know if the EXE file can be put on the web.

Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='791666' date='01-Sep-2009 07:36']I've often made HTML slideshows with Irfanview but I don't know how to make one I can put up on my domain that will auto-advance each picture after a user prescribed interval.[/quote]
    You might consider one of the Lightbox-like JavaScript libraries. These generally require a combination of different files that you then might need to update periodically (if they have security flaws, for example). The advantage of JavaScript is that it can accomplish smooth transition effects on nearly all desktop browsers, with very few compatibility concerns. Unless the user has disabled JavaScript.

Here's one I'm considering using for smaller sized images: http://www.digitalia.be/software/slimbox2 (requires the jQuery library). However, on my sites I designed my own, somewhat unsophisticated script that layers on top of a framed design. Example: http://jeffersonscher.com/photos/Maui07/AroundMaui. Not sure whether either of those would be of interest.

=== Edit ===
    Oops, SlimBox does not include automatic advance. Not sure what gave me that idea.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Here is a version I use from time to time, that uses Javascript.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Regards
    John

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Al,
    If all that is needed is a simple uncontrolled presentation of a series of photos, a simple animated gif should work.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='791715' date='01-Sep-2009 20:38']Well, I'm looking for something that I can put up on my web domain for casual users to view, in an automatic mode where the pix advance at some preset time. Strangely, I just looked at LPJ a few minutes ago and I think it requires PHP for web display and I don't think my domain has PHP. Can you enlighten me further, please? Thanks...

Edited to add:
    Excuse me that wasn't LPJ I just looked at. It was something else. However, I've used LPJ for several years to make locally viewable slide shows and I love the program and its customizability! But I don't know if the EXE file can be put on the web.[/quote]
    Hi Al

How about PowerPoint?
    Cheers

Steve

Asking the questions everbody wants the answers too but feels too stupid to ask themselves :-)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bob_D' post='791764' date='02-Sep-2009 14:32']If all that is needed is a simple uncontrolled presentation of a series of photos, a simple animated gif should work.[/quote]
    The problem with animated gifs is precisely that they are gifs, rather than jpgs. There is no such thing as animated jpgs, and converting jpgs to gifs often leads to signifiant loss of quality.
    Regards
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bob_D' post='791764' date='01-Sep-2009 23:32']If all that is needed is a simple uncontrolled presentation of a series of photos, a simple animated gif should work.[/quote]
    A simple animated GIF of 80 wedding photos - 35 meg? Sorry, I don't think that would cut it.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='stevehocking' post='791766' date='01-Sep-2009 23:42']How about PowerPoint?[/quote]
    Thanks for the suggestion, Steve, but I don't have Office installed and have never done anything at all with the Open Office equivalent. It may come down to that if I can't find something else.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='johnhutchison' post='791737' date='01-Sep-2009 18:32']Here is a version I use from time to time, that uses Javascript.[/quote]
    Thanks, John, I'll look at it today.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    This has been a very frustrating day for me! I've installed and removed a number of software products that "claim" to be able to produce video slideshows for the WEB and none was acceptable. Either they don't run correctly or at all, produce .MOV files, don't produce auto-advancing slides, etc. And these are all "for fee" software mind you. I got my list of software to try from this review:
    In deference to a couple of you who have made suggestions that I've looked at, you should understand that I have a number of slideshows that I want to create for the benefit of local friends and family members around the country. Some of these shows will have 50-100 slides, so I can't take the time to do manual coding of things like javascript or whatever. I absolutely need a GUI, preferably one that is drag-n-drop for photo entry.

The closest I've come is the one in the right-most column of the review, from a German company. It produces a nice result in HTML form but the slides won't auto-advance as they're supposed to do. I've written to them with this question and don't know if they'll bother to respond. Their local (PC) copy runs beautifully, just as it's supposed to, full screen and all.

I hope a good soul Lounger will be able to provide another GUI-clue for me to try. I don't mind paying a fair price, but I do want to know if it will do the job I want before I fork over my money. Thanks for listening!

PS With all this UN-INSTALLING I've done today, I thank heaven for Revo Uninstaller! It's unbelievable how much left over garbage it has found just in this one day of trial and tribulation!

PPS Just in case some of you would like to see what I'm trying to do, here's a link to a page of photos of mine and Billie's wedding, consisting of 80 photos, produced with Irfanview:

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='791889' date='02-Sep-2009 18:32']I hope a good soul Lounger will be able to provide another GUI-clue for me to try. I don't mind paying a fair price, but I do want to know if it will do the job I want before I fork over my money. Thanks for listening![/quote]
    Hi Al,
    I've mentioned this software before, but hesitated to mention it now because I am no longer using it. BUT when I was using Smartpix Manager from Xequte software. It is a $39 software but it did work wonderfully for quite a white. Under it's submenus is an all html stylish image indexes for your web site with their wizard.
    Only reason I moved on was that I got into some flash slideshow stuff under Jalbum.
    PM me if you need.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='bleduc' post='791894' date='02-Sep-2009 19:25']I've mentioned this software before, but hesitated to mention it now because I am no longer using it. BUT when I was using Smartpix Manager from Xequte software. It is a $39 software but it did work wonderfully for quite a white. Under it's submenus is an all html stylish image indexes for your web site with their wizard.[/quote]
    Thanks Bob! I knew there was someone else who had some good luck with this but I couldn't remember who! I'll give it a try.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Bigaldoc' post='791889' date='03-Sep-2009 08:32']This has been a very frustrating day for me! I've installed and removed a number of software products that "claim" to be able to produce video slideshows for the WEB and none was acceptable.[/quote]

Al

FREE HTML Image Gallery Tools - Freeware lists a number of options including JAlbum, which I've had success with before. I hope you find one that works for you.

Alan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast