Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My 79 yr old mother just got her first computer. It is a hand me down from my younger brother.

My brother and his family got a new machine because this one wasn't fast enough for their needs.

After trying to get it ready for my mother to use, I started to see why. I ran AVG virus scan and found 21 viruses and 31 trogans. I ran Spybot and found 71 spyware programs.

Even after all this prep work the machine is still slow and shows signs of additional malware programs. I've concluded the best option may be to reformat the hard drive and reinstall a bare minimum compliment of software.

I can get download the device drivers for this machine at my office. But I am stumped as to how to reinstall the OS (Win XP). My brother has moved since they got this machine and can not find the original installation cd's for WinXP.

Any suggestions on how to get the codes and or software cd's I'll need to reinstall XP?

Any other general suggestions on a clean slate approach for an older computer?

Thank you in advance.

Larry P

Thanks
    If you don't have the XP Cd (or a recovery partion on the hard disk, or a recovery cd), then I'm afraid you will have to purchase a copy of XP (or whatever operating system you wish to install).
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Thanks
    [quote name='Larry P' post='791749' date='01-Sep-2009 17:57']I am stumped as to how to reinstall the OS (Win XP). My brother has moved since they got this machine and can not find the original installation cd's for WinXP.[/quote]
    Some computer have a "restore" partition. I'm not sure exactly how to access that partition, but you could check the manufacturer's documentation on that.

There was a recent thread about the c:\i386 folder being a copy of the installation CD, but even if that's true, you might not be able to trust its contents...

If all else fails, how about Linux?

Thanks
    [quote name='Larry P' post='791749' date='02-Sep-2009 01:57'][/quote]
    Could I suggest that before you do anything more drastic, you download Malwarebytes Anti-malware (the blue button on the left), install it, update it with the latest definitions, and scan your disk using Quick Scan (or Full Scan)? This is currently regarded as the best general malware removing mechanism, and it worth a try. As with all scanners, allow quite some time for it to trawl through everything!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='BATcher' post='791771' date='02-Sep-2009 02:19']Could I suggest that before you do anything more drastic, you download Malwarebytes Anti-malware (the blue button on the left), install it, update it with the latest definitions, and scan your disk using Quick Scan (or Full Scan)? This is currently regarded as the best general malware removing mechanism, and it worth a try. As with all scanners, allow quite some time for it to trawl through everything![/quote]

I will definitely try Malwarebytes. One more scan of the hard drive can't hurt.

Even after that is done, I'm not convinced everything will be gone.

A few years ago I taught some classes on using the Internet as a business resource. One of the things I learned while conducting research for that class is that no malware program will take care of all problems. At that time the combination of two of the most popular programs only caught 67% of problems on a test computer.

Perhaps I'll try to get in touch with Microsoft and see if they can point me to a way to find the authorization codes for the OS. I wonder if Bill is answering his phone today?

Thanks again for the help.

Larry P

Thanks
    [quote name='Larry P' post='791850' date='02-Sep-2009 18:32']Perhaps I'll try to get in touch with Microsoft and see if they can point me to a way to find the authorization codes for the OS. I wonder if Bill is answering his phone today? [/quote]
    You could Google for any of the following: Belarc Advisor, Nir Soft's ProduKey and Magical Jelly Bean Finder. All should give the same Windows Product Key but beware that for Dells and HPs and maybe some others this could well be their master key, which may not correspond with that on the holographic sticker on the side of the case - which is the one you should use on a reinstall.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...