Thanks
    I wasn't sure if this was a new topic, but for the sake of clarity, I made it one.

My daughter broke her arm so to help her in her school work I wanted to install Dragon NaturallySpeaking.

She has a Dell Inspiron, that came with Vista Home Premium and all the Dell Crap. Dragon wouldn't install on that machine, although it would on my HP (running Windows 7) and my Dell desktop (Also Win_7).

So I figured I'd put Win_7 on her laptop and then the Dragon.

So I deleted all the partitions on the laptop, and installed Windows 7. It has done nothing but have problems.

It seems to install fine -- till I run WinUpdate. It will run WinUpdate fine the first time, setting a restore point and installing the files, and then rebooting.

But if I go back into WinUpdate, it either:

1) Won't fully load, giving me a blank message box;

2) Load, but then on starting, when it says "Setting restore point" it just hangs there -- so far I timed it to an hour and a half;

3) Load, run, reboot, and hang on the "Installing...don't turn off..."

Vista Ultimate installs fine on the same machine. The Windows 7 is the RC1 - b7100.

What could possible be wrong here?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='791770' date='01-Sep-2009 23:56']It seems to install fine -- till I run WinUpdate. It will run WinUpdate fine the first time, setting a restore point and installing the files, and then rebooting.

But if I go back into WinUpdate, it either:

1) Won't fully load, giving me a blank message box;

2) Load, but then on starting, when it says "Setting restore point" it just hangs there -- so far I timed it to an hour and a half;

3) Load, run, reboot, and hang on the "Installing...don't turn off..."

Vista Ultimate installs fine on the same machine. The Windows 7 is the RC1 - b7100.

What could possible be wrong here?[/quote]

Have you checked the Dell site to see if they have an Win7 drivers for that model?

If there are not any Win7 drivers, have you made sure you have the most recent Vista drivers?

NOTE: Win7 RC is still a TEST version of the OS. So YMMV when using it.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='791770' date='02-Sep-2009 05:56']So I deleted all the partitions on the laptop, and installed Windows 7. It has done nothing but have problems.[/quote]
    Is this (and Post 791630) still an issue?

Or has Post 791779 superceded it/them?

Thanks
    [quote name='Leif' post='791811' date='02-Sep-2009 07:03']Is this (and Post 791630) still an issue?

Or has Post 791779 superceded it/them?[/quote]

Leif:

I'm not sure how to answer that except:

So far, neither OS has completed properly. Right now, I just (per Joe's link) downloaded Vista SP-2, and will try that.

I WANTED Win 7 to work, but now, because of time lost, I'm sorta up against it and either OS will do.

I suppose that the ting I should do is consider all posts resolved, and then I'll start over if need be after installing SP-2.

I can come back at another time and try Win_7 again.

Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='791770' date='02-Sep-2009 00:56']What could possible be wrong here?[/quote]
    Chuck,
    I just don't understand why you insist on thinking Win7 is Gold and trying to use it as the cure all for all things?

Why not look into making things work with an established OS like Vista, which is what she apparently had installed on her machine?
    Just because it seems to work on your setup doesn't mean it will be OK on hers.
    Be PATIENT, Chuck. Wait for the final public release and give the OEM'S time to get their drivers out. Ones that apply to that particular machine.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks
    [quote name='viking33' post='791828' date='02-Sep-2009 09:33']Chuck,
    I just don't understand why you insist on thinking Win7 is Gold and trying to use it as the cure all for all things?

Why not look into making things work with an established OS like Vista, which is what she apparently had installed on her machine?
    Just because it seems to work on your setup doesn't mean it will be OK on hers.
    Be PATIENT, Chuck. Wait for the final public release and give the OEM'S time to get their drivers out. Ones that apply to that particular machine.
    [/quote]

You're right Bob.

I knew I needed to start over with her machine (to get Dragon to work), but staying with Vista for her now is probably wise.

Thanks,
    Chuck