3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a spreadsheet originally created in Excel 2003 that includes several pivot tables. My pc has been upgraded to Excel 2007 and I have saved the file as an *.XLS. I am trying to show a new user how to use the file, but they have Excel 2003. The pivot table Refresh command is greyed-out when opened in Excel 2003.

Is an Excel 2007 file saved as Excel 97-2003 Workbook (*.xls) containing a pivot table backward-compatible for use in Excel 2003?

If not, is there a way to make it backward-compatible?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Apparently, not without recreating the original pivot tables. I found this on the Microsoft Excel Team Blog here: http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/archive/...30/730796.aspx

Backwards Compatibility
    Version 12 PivotTables are not “downgraded” to a version 10 PivotTable during save to a previous version file format or at any other time. When a version 12 PivotTable is viewed in previous versions of Excel, the PivotTable will not be refreshable. The PivotTable will continue to be refreshable in Excel 2007.

Strategies for sharing PivotTables with other users

As noted above, version 12 PivotTables are not downgraded to version 10 PivotTables and will not be refreshable in previous versions of Excel. If you wish to share PivotTables with people using a previous version of Excel AND they have a need to refresh the PivotTables, you will need to ensure that these PivotTables were created as version 10 PivotTables.

How do I create a version 10 PivotTable in Excel 12?

The simplest way to do this is by using compatibility Mode. If you start with a new file, save it to the Excel 97-2003 file format and re-open the file, you will enter compatibility Mode. Any PivotTable that you create while in compatibility mode will be a version 10 PivotTable and will be refreshable when opened in previous versions of Excel.