3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi. Can someone either (briefly) explain how the formatting behaves in the text area of an Outlook message, or direct me to something more technical than "...for Dummies"? I know it's an open-ended question, but I'm hoping to find some background to explain things like Outlook's use (?) of a NormalEMail.dotm, the way CTRL+Spacebar sometimes does one thing and sometimes another, and why the formatting defined in my preferences (i.e. New mail messages, Replying or forwarding messages) sometimes behave as direct formatting (which gets stripped by CTRL+Spacebar) and sometimes goes back to the way I set it up in my preferences. It seems to be a sort-of halfway implementation of Word's own styles and formatting behavior.

For example, I have a habit of using CTRL+Spacebar to turn off any italics or bold I might be using, and I notice that sometimes it changes the text back to the "default" for the type of message I'm writing, and sometimes resets it to 12 point Times New Roman! Does it depend on where the message originated and in what format? Do my own format preferences (e.g. blue text for replies) get treated as a style or as direct formatting? Are there different documented behaviors for HTML messages vs. RTF?

It's certainly not a show-stopper, but after all these years, it's counter-intuitive for me to use "workarounds" that don't adhere to past behavior nor Word's formatting methods. (Then again, after all these years, I suppose you'd think I'd be used to exactly that with new products!)
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">That's what you do in a herd; you look out for each other!</font face=comic> - Mike

Thanks
    [quote name='Mesaka' post='792010' date='03-Sep-2009 11:49']For example, I have a habit of using CTRL+Spacebar to turn off any italics or bold I might be using, and I notice that sometimes it changes the text back to the "default" for the type of message I'm writing, and sometimes resets it to 12 point Times New Roman! Does it depend on where the message originated and in what format? Do my own format preferences (e.g. blue text for replies) get treated as a style or as direct formatting? Are there different documented behaviors for HTML messages vs. RTF?[/quote]
    I use Outlook 2003 with the built-in editor, so these comments are specific to that combination. In HTML format, using Ctrl+Spacebar usually applies my default format preferences. However, with replies and forwards, the underlying template occasionally seems to assert itself with respect to one or more aspects of the font formatting (e.g., color, size, typeface). If I copy and paste within the reply, I also get occasional 12pt amidst 10pt anomalies, which are very annoying because I usually do not want to emphasize the pasted material. These anomalies only appear AFTER sending the message or saving in the Drafts folder, so sometimes I will save, close, and open to see if I can spot them. Perhaps Outlook 2007 fixes all of these problems.