Thread: chkdsk

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy

An older pc running XP Home (fully up to date) started asking to run chkdsk when it reboots (and there are small signs of possible disk malfunction in the area where my virus checker is running). When it runs (on pc start-up), it completes the file check rapidly but hangs at 0% complete on the sector scan. If I bypass chkdsk, the pc seems to run okay (it is always slow) with the exception of the virus checker.
    What can I do to restore regular operation?
    p.s. I suspect the pc may have stopped during a brief power outage that my APS was supposed to bridge.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='globalist' post='792105' date='04-Sep-2009 06:59']An older pc running XP Home (fully up to date) started asking to run chkdsk when it reboots (and there are small signs of possible disk malfunction in the area where my virus checker is running). When it runs (on pc start-up), it completes the file check rapidly but hangs at 0% complete on the sector scan. If I bypass chkdsk, the pc seems to run okay (it is always slow) with the exception of the virus checker.
    What can I do to restore regular operation?
    p.s. I suspect the pc may have stopped during a brief power outage that my APS was supposed to bridge.[/quote]

If a chkdsk can't complete successfully I suspect you have an imminent disk failure. First, backup the system preferably using imaging software. Then if you want to keep the PC running you have to replace the disk.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs down

Correction: chkdsk does hang on the second pass through, but that is "indexes" rather than "sector".

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='globalist' post='792130' date='04-Sep-2009 08:47']Correction: chkdsk does hang on the second pass through, but that is "indexes" rather than "sector".[/quote]

How long did you wait for it to proceed? Some phases of chkdsk do not execute as quickly as the file checking.

Joe
    Joe