Thread: Max Cache?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Max Cache?

At the risk of being verbose in my query, here's the situation: A friend of mine, who is too timid to use such fine places as this is running a Win95B machine. She tested her PC at the "pcpitstop" website. One of the items "red flagged" was her "Max Cache" which is 8 megs. I compared this to my Max Cache on my Win98 SE machine which shows 16 megs.

So, here is what I would like to know:

1) What is Max Cache? and what does it do?
    2) How big should the Max Cache be on average?
    3) How does one change the size of the Max Cache?

And thanks for taking the time to answer these questions! [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Pilgrim
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

ileacy

Re: Max Cache?

1)Cache in this case refers to Disk Cache, A section of memory where frequently used disk sectors are cached so that they dont have to be re-read from disk.

2)Maximum depends on available memory and primary use of system. One rule I have seen is Max should be 25% of real memory. Really depends on how you are using the system. Servers generally need more memory for disk access, client systems generally need more memory for application software.

3)Need 3rd party utility to change cache sizes. Need to check which ones will work for W95. I think TweakUI, but not sure.