Thanks
    Last night, suddenly(?), any time I opened a web page with IE (8), the icon for that page in the task bar was just some generic lank white icon.

I had to update Windows to fix it.

There's got to be an easier fix. It has to be some reg entry, dictating default Taskbar icons that is somehow getting trashed that, if I "put it back" I wouldn't have to update / re-install the OS.

Yes this is Win_7 RC (7100), but I had the same thing happen a couple times in Vista as well.

Where is/are the default icon ifon data stored so that I can save it separately?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    [quote name='CWBillow' post='792193' date='04-Sep-2009 15:46']Last night, suddenly(?), any time I opened a web page with IE (8), the icon for that page in the task bar was just some generic lank white icon.

I had to update Windows to fix it.

There's got to be an easier fix. It has to be some reg entry, dictating default Taskbar icons that is somehow getting trashed that, if I "put it back" I wouldn't have to update / re-install the OS.

Yes this is Win_7 RC (7100), but I had the same thing happen a couple times in Vista as well.

Where is/are the default icon ifon data stored so that I can save it separately?[/quote]

Set Windows Explorer to display hidden files and also protected operating system files. Look in c:\users\username\appdata\local for iconcache.db. If you delete the file Windows should just rebuild it.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='792219' date='04-Sep-2009 17:24']Set Windows Explorer to display hidden files and also protected operating system files. Look in c:\users\username\appdata\local for iconcache.db. If you delete the file Windows should just rebuild it.

Joe[/quote]

Fabulous. Thanks Joe.

Regards,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='792219' date='04-Sep-2009 17:24']Set Windows Explorer to display hidden files and also protected operating system files. Look in c:\users\username\appdata\local for iconcache.db. If you delete the file Windows should just rebuild it.

Joe[/quote]

Joe, the same thing -- trashed task bar icons -- just happened again. This time it's notepad.

I deleted iconcache.db, and then restarted the system, but it didn't fix it.

Are there any other options to fix this without running an "update"?

Chuck

Thanks

Joe[/quote]

Joe, I got it.

I logged out, logged in as Admin, copied a backed up copy that I knew to be OK over the bad one, logged back in as "me" and all was fixed.

Thanks,
    Chuck