Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    We were brought a DVD disc containing a large AVI file, Picasa (Google) viewer and a setup.exe install file for Picasa.

When we put the disc in the computer it Autoruns the Picasa viewer which says loading but the video never comes up. I tried running the setup.exe file which installed a Picasa picture program but that program was for images and not video so it couldn't open the video file either. The only method I found to view the AVI file is to go into the subfolder on the original disc and directly run it. On my computer it choosed to open by default to the Windows Media Player. Thus, the AVI is viewable, just not with the software on the original disc.

Not too big of a problem yet. Our job was to make a duplicate of the original disc to sent to an expert. We did, however, the expert on the receiving end says he can't open the AVI file on the copy disc no matter what he does, even directly accessing it.

Back to the drawing board. To avoid any confusion caused by the Picasa software, I copied the AVI file directly from the original disc to the copy disc. However, once I do that and try to run the AVI from the copy disc it won't run. WMP errs out. I also tried opening it with other viewers, i.e. VLC Player, Quicktime, Blaze, and Nero Showtime. None of those work either with the copy. Thus, the copy disc is no good.

I next tried directly copying the AVI file from the original disc to my hard drive. I made sure it wasn't read only. But copy made on my hard drive also doesn't run.

I tried making a copy directly from the original disc into a ZIP file on my hard drive, hoping to then burn the ZIP file. No go with that either. Still can't open the copy.

I'm even trying to upload from the original disc to a media converting website to see if I can make a copy in a different format. That hasn't work thus far either because the file is too large to upload.

The only file that will open is the AVI file on the original disc. No copies made thus far have worked.

It may not be possible to put the expert and the original disc in the same room for viewing. Suggestions on what I can try next to get a copy to him?

Thank you!
    Daisy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    [quote name='ailios' post='792197' date='04-Sep-2009 16:26']We were brought a DVD disc containing a large AVI file, Picasa (Google) viewer and a setup.exe install file for Picasa.

When we put the disc in the computer it Autoruns the Picasa viewer which says loading but the video never comes up. I tried running the setup.exe file which installed a Picasa picture program but that program was for images and not video so it couldn't open the video file either. The only method I found to view the AVI file is to go into the subfolder on the original disc and directly run it. On my computer it choosed to open by default to the Windows Media Player. Thus, the AVI is viewable, just not with the software on the original disc.

Not too big of a problem yet. Our job was to make a duplicate of the original disc to sent to an expert. We did, however, the expert on the receiving end says he can't open the AVI file on the copy disc no matter what he does, even directly accessing it.

Back to the drawing board. To avoid any confusion caused by the Picasa software, I copied the AVI file directly from the original disc to the copy disc. However, once I do that and try to run the AVI from the copy disc it won't run. WMP errs out. I also tried opening it with other viewers, i.e. VLC Player, Quicktime, Blaze, and Nero Showtime. None of those work either with the copy. Thus, the copy disc is no good.

I next tried directly copying the AVI file from the original disc to my hard drive. I made sure it wasn't read only. But copy made on my hard drive also doesn't run.

I tried making a copy directly from the original disc into a ZIP file on my hard drive, hoping to then burn the ZIP file. No go with that either. Still can't open the copy.

I'm even trying to upload from the original disc to a media converting website to see if I can make a copy in a different format. That hasn't work thus far either because the file is too large to upload.

The only file that will open is the AVI file on the original disc. No copies made thus far have worked.

It may not be possible to put the expert and the original disc in the same room for viewing. Suggestions on what I can try next to get a copy to him?

Thank you![/quote]

It seems as though there maybe some rights management involved. Is this propriertary information? Can you get the original AVI file from whomever supplied the DVD?

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As far as I can see it's not proprietary. The video is a home movie. We're unable to get our hands on the original, original disk. What I'm calling an original disk is actually a copy made by someone else of the original, original. Is this original copy that we're not able to get a copy off of it. We can only view it if we double click directly on the AVI file. It's in a subfolder all by itself. The Picasa software is at the top level and as far as I can tell has no worth because it doesn't work withe AVI file. It's Windows Media Player on my computer that runs it. It's looking like the best we can do is find a way to bring the expert into the office to view it. We can't send it to him because it's the only one we have.
    Daisy

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='ailios' post='792588' date='08-Sep-2009 15:48']As far as I can see it's not proprietary. The video is a home movie. We're unable to get our hands on the original, original disk. What I'm calling an original disk is actually a copy made by someone else of the original, original. Is this original copy that we're not able to get a copy off of it. We can only view it if we double click directly on the AVI file. It's in a subfolder all by itself. The Picasa software is at the top level and as far as I can tell has no worth because it doesn't work withe AVI file. It's Windows Media Player on my computer that runs it. It's looking like the best we can do is find a way to bring the expert into the office to view it. We can't send it to him because it's the only one we have.[/quote]

If you copy the whole DVD Picasa and all, does the copy work on your PC?
    What software are you using to copy the DVD?

It seems there must be some hidden file somewhere.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='792591' date='08-Sep-2009 13:54']If you copy the whole DVD Picasa and all, does the copy work on your PC?
    What software are you using to copy the DVD?[/quote]

First thing I tried was to make a whole copy. That's how I found out it wouldn't work, after we'd already sent the disk off to the expert. Everything I tried after that was an attempt get a copy of that file to work.

I'm using Nero 9.
    Daisy

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='ailios' post='792592' date='08-Sep-2009 15:58']First thing I tried was to make a whole copy. That's how I found out it wouldn't work, after we'd already sent the disk off to the expert. Everything I tried after that was an attempt get a copy of that file to work.

I'm using Nero 9.[/quote]

Are you just using Windows Explorer to copy the files from the DVD to your PC?

Do you have any other disc copy software you could try?

Have you tried the copy process on another PC?

How big is the AVI file?

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez' post='792622 View Post
    Have you tried the copy process on another PC?
    Yes. My assistant made the first copy that failed. I'm going to take this home at lunch and try to copy it with my laptop.

[quote name='joeperez' post='792622' date='08-Sep-2009 19:05']How big is the AVI file?[/quote]
    Almost 1 GB.
    Daisy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've now tried burning a copy with my personal laptop during different software (Roxio Creater). No go. Still errors when I try to view it from the new disk.

I wonder if there's some way I can capture a copy by steaming the video from the original disk. I've done something like this with YouTube videos and VLC Media Player. Unfortunately, this AVI file won't play with VLC. So far only WMP will work with the original disk.

FYI, the specific error WMP gives me is "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or a required codec might not be installed on your computer." I'm going to guess it's not the codec because it does play in WMP from the original disk. Just not from the copy.
    Daisy

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='ailios' post='792724' date='09-Sep-2009 14:56']I've now tried burning a copy with my personal laptop during different software (Roxio Creater). No go. Still errors when I try to view it from the new disk.

I wonder if there's some way I can capture a copy by steaming the video from the original disk. I've done something like this with YouTube videos and VLC Media Player. Unfortunately, this AVI file won't play with VLC. So far only WMP will work with the original disk.

FYI, the specific error WMP gives me is "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or a required codec might not be installed on your computer." I'm going to guess it's not the codec because it does play in WMP from the original disk. Just not from the copy.[/quote]

That indicates some sort of corruption or DRM being compromised when you copy it from DVD to HD.

Are you able to view it on your personal laptop without installing Picasa?

Just to check, have you tried setting Windows Explorer to display System & hidden files?

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='792727' date='09-Sep-2009 13:04']That indicates some sort of corruption or DRM being compromised when you copy it from DVD to HD.

Are you able to view it on your personal laptop without installing Picasa?

Just to check, have you tried setting Windows Explorer to display System & hidden files?

Joe[/quote]

I'm able to view it on my laptop with WMP just like at work. My laptop is Vista and my office is XP. Note, Picasa never worked to run this video. It came on the original disk but did not work to run that file. I get the impression Picasa is a picture/photo viewer and not for videos.

All my computers have all files viewable. I never keep files hidden. No

When I look at the original AVI file's properties it doesn't say it's using DRM. It does show attribute RA but I'm not surprised because it's a read only disk.

The top level on the disk has these files and attributes:

autorun.inf RA
    cdgo.psd RHA
    cdgo.tre RHA
    desktop.ini HSA
    files.txt RFA
    PicasaCD.exe RA
    setup.exe RHA

The video AVI files is by itself in a subfolder.
    Daisy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Meanwhile, I've now installed the latest version of Picasa 3. It still won't open the original AVI file. I also installed DIVX for kicks. The original will view on it but not the copy. Nothing new there.

I thought I might be onto something with Gspot (http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html). It analyzes the file and tells you what codex you are missing. I used it to scan the original and the copy. The scan results were identical. It says codecs are installed. No codec required. Attached is a screenshot of the results from the copy. The original's results are the same.

I was hoping where it says "244 bytes unneeded at end of file" would be helpful, but both files read the same way.

Close to giving up hope.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Daisy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You have NOT stated where you got this DVD or what is on it that you are trying to copy?
    It may help us help you if you to let us know these things.

As far as " Picasa " concerned, it is a imaging indexing and control package. See http://picasa.google.com/ "Picasa is a software download from Google that helps you organize, edit, and share your photos. It's free, and easy to use."

The avi files on the DVD are of what? They may be the one that that can be seen at the above web page, "Watch a video introduction".

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Administrator
    Thanks
    [quote name='ailios' post='792743' date='09-Sep-2009 17:08']Meanwhile, I've not installed the latest version of Picasa 3. It still won't open the original AVI file. I also installed DIVX for kicks. The original will view on it but not the copy. Nothing new there.

I thought I might be was on to something with Gspot (http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html). It analyzes the file and tells you what codex you are missing. I used it to scan the original and the copy. The scan results were identical. It says codecs are installed. No codec required. Attached is a screenshot of the results from the copy. The original's results are the same.

I was hoping where it says "244 bytes unneeded at end of file" would be helpful, but both files read the same way.

Close to giving up hope.[/quote]

How large is the AVI file?

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='DaveA' post='792755' date='09-Sep-2009 20:21']You have NOT stated where you got this DVD or what is on it that you are trying to copy?
    It may help us help you if you to let us know these things.

As far as " Picasa " concerned, it is a imaging indexing and control package. See http://picasa.google.com/ "Picasa is a software download from Google that helps you organize, edit, and share your photos. It's free, and easy to use."

The avi files on the DVD are of what? They may be the one that that can be seen at the above web page, "Watch a video introduction".[/quote]

I can't say where I got the DVD or what it is because I work for attorneys and it contains confidential information related to a client case. As I said it's a home video. I do not know what software or cam was used and the AVI file's properties don't say. I can't describe what is on the video. I can see what it is running it from the original copy so I know what it is about, but have thus far been unable to open or view it from a copy of that file.

I don't now if this original disk was burned directly from the computer on which the software is located that recorded the video. Or if it is a copy of another disk. I'm told the original AVI file on the computer where it was produced is no longer available. This is the only known copy of that AVI file.

It's inconvenient to bring out expert into the office, sure, but sooner than later we'll be asked to provide a copy to opposing counsel. Thus the push to figure out how to make a copy. We can't give the opposing counsel our only copy.
    Daisy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='joeperez' post='792807' date='10-Sep-2009 07:14']How large is the AVI file?

Joe[/quote]

Its about 1 GB in size. Specifically 956,488 KB.
    Daisy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast