New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi guys I need some help, this topic has probably been posted here somewhere but i'm unable to find it as I dont know if it's a formatting problem or something else.

Basically when I copy a file to word 2007 from pdf or txt I cant change the look of the document without having to go through it manually and doing it all by hand, can anyone tell me how to speed up the process. I've got a sample below. Most of the document is like the bold text and I want to change it to resemble the text that is underlined without having to go through the entire document line by line. It's probably something simple but i'm stuck. Any help would be appreciated.

A sudden groan of twisting metal informed him that the first
    time had not been an illusion. The area of the door where the
    handle and lock were situated had been torn asunder, rendering
    the whole thing useless. Someone standing on the other side of
    the door pushed it forward.

At first, he did not notice the darkness draw inward, thicken even, if such a thing was possible. Only when the first limbs became recognizable—and then the fact that there were four of them, all legs—did he fully appreciate his success. The demon had finally, completely, bowed to his will.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    It looks like every line is a new paragraph.

If you click on the ¶ character in the Paragraph section of the home ribbon this will turn on display of non-printing characters and you should see a ¶ at the end of each line.

Hopefully there will be two consecutive paragraph marks wherever there should really be a new paragraph, if this is the case then we can fix this up as follows with three consecutive Replace commands...

Type Control-H (to display the Replace dialog box)

Find what: ^p^p
    (this will find two consecutive paragraph marks)
    Replace with: ***&&&***
    (or any other text string that doesn't get used elsewhere in your document)
    Click OK

Find what: ^p
    Replace with:
    (nothing, leave the replace with box blank)
    Click OK

Find what: ***&&&***
    (or whatever text string you used above
    Replace with: ^p
    OK

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the attempt. I did what u said and pressed the ¶ button but it only shows one ¶ mark at the end of each line, and leaving it blank in the replace with box bunches up the text. like I said above I have only been able to change the look of the document by editing every line manually. Thanks though.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You might like to post a sample document which you have pasted in from Acrobat so we can see what your Word document actually contains - I would have expected StuartR's suggestion to do the job perfectly if the real paragraph marks are appear as a double return in your document.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks
    [quote name='homicidalbookworm' post='792216' date='05-Sep-2009 01:01']leaving it blank in the replace with box bunches up the text.[/quote]
    If there was a ¶ at the end of every line then StuartR was on the right lines. Though instead of putting nothing in the replace with box, you could put a single space to avoid words being joined together. You could also go through and put an extra ¶ where there really should be paragraph breaks before you do the replace routine. That is a bit tiresome to do, but paragraph by paragraph is at least quicker than line by line.

Or, you could select text one paragraph at a time, using the mouse, being sure to select all but the final ¶ in the paragraph, and then do the replace routine one para at a time.

Ian

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='IanWilson' post='792245' date='05-Sep-2009 10:29']If there was a ¶ at the end of every line then StuartR was on the right lines. Though instead of putting nothing in the replace with box, you could put a single space to avoid words being joined together. You could also go through and put an extra ¶ where there really should be paragraph breaks before you do the replace routine. That is a bit tiresome to do, but paragraph by paragraph is at least quicker than line by line.

Or, you could select text one paragraph at a time, using the mouse, being sure to select all but the final ¶ in the paragraph, and then do the replace routine one para at a time.

Ian[/quote]

Thanks Ian your idea works, its a lot faster than how I have been doing it I.E line by line

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    [quote name='homicidalbookworm' post='792263' date='05-Sep-2009 10:43']Thanks Ian your idea works, its a lot faster than how I have been doing it I.E line by line
    [/quote]
    Another really quick (one click) tool for getting rid of those paragraph marks at the end of each line is to use Autoformat. (Format > Autoformat in versions prior to Word 2007 - not at a Word 2007 machine at the moment so can't tell you where to find it in 2007). This will autoformat the entire document, so if you have a chunk of text like this that needs to be cleaned up, you can put it in a scratch document and run Autoformat on that, and then paste into your live document.

[Edited to add:] Actually, if you select text first, then Autoformat will only run on the selected text. If you don't have anything selected, then it will Autoformat the entire document.

Gary