Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I produce a listing of our constituents in a 3 column report and print it back to back.

I place the last names of the first record and the last record at the bottom of the report to facilitate searching through the directory.

This notation appears at the bottom of the first column on all pages and I'd like to make it appear at the bottom of the third column on odd number pages - as we print back to back that would place the first and last notation on the outside edge.

Can you help me with this, please?

John

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Well, it seems you are tackling a non-trivial problem. It would seem that you might be able to use an On Format procedure (probably in the Page Header of your report) that would check the page number for odd or even, and then turn the visibility of the controls in the footer on and off apropriately. However a search of the various web resources seems to indicate that there are major challenges in doing that. Try a search in this forum for "odd pages" and you will find 6 topics that talk about the challenges in doing that sort of thing. Frankly Word is much better at doing those sort of things as it allows you to have different footers on odd and even pages. Try the hiding of controls in the footer approach, but if it gets to be major brain damage, you may want to make a Word document out of it.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually, I've used the OnFomat procedure to put the First & Last notation in the proper side of the page for full page printing.

The problem I have here is the 3 column setup as it only prints the header/footer in the first column, thus inhibiting me from placing the notation in the proper location - at least that's what I've experienced so far.

Is there a way of changing the formatting for the first column and the third column of a report?

John

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What happens if you make the text box the full width of the report, and then change the justification from Left to Right on the On Format procedure? I beleive the trick is to define a column width that is not the same as the detail. Make the detail section the full width of your report. We have a report we product that is three columns and that's how it was setup.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that advice. Frankly, I was unaware that one could have a full width section in a columnar report. Thanks for the tip.