New Lounger
    Thanks
    I want to customize page numbering. For example, my first page is merely a cover sheet with a name and title. I do not want this page to be included in the page numbering. I want to start page numbering on the second page. How would I do this. I'm using Word 2007. I tried using a separate header/footer for the initial page, removing the page number from that page's footer. I included the page number on the footer of the following page, but alas, it's still counting the first page. I'm sure some clever person has already solved this problem.

Thanks
    [quote name='theUnGuru' post='792449' date='07-Sep-2009 21:39']I want to customize page numbering. For example, my first page is merely a cover sheet with a name and title. I do not want this page to be included in the page numbering. I want to start page numbering on the second page. How would I do this. I'm using Word 2007. I tried using a separate header/footer for the initial page, removing the page number from that page's footer. I included the page number on the footer of the following page, but alas, it's still counting the first page. I'm sure some clever person has already solved this problem.[/quote]
    You can either (1) put a section break at the end of the first page and then start the page numbering from 1 in the second section, or (2) you can do as you have done with no number displayed on the first page, but start the document's page count from zero.

Ian

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry but is there a setting in Word where I designate where I want to start page numbering? Because I did add a section break for the second page but it's still including the initial page in the page numbering.

Thanks
    [quote name='theUnGuru' post='792455' date='07-Sep-2009 22:09']Sorry but is there a setting in Word where I designate where I want to start page numbering? Because I did add a section break for the second page but it's still including the initial page in the page numbering.[/quote]
    In Word 2007, go to the Insert tab, then click on page numbers, then Format Page number. You should see a dialog box where you can select to continue from previous section, or start at whatever number you choose. So if you are in Section 2, you can choose for it to start its page numbering at 1. Or if you don't have a section break at all, you can use the same dialog to start the document page number at zero.

Ian

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I did this and it starts numbering at the second page, as it should. But inexplicably, it's still including the initial page into the total number of pages. I'd like the second page footer to display Page 1 of 1, instead of Page 1 of 2. Sorry if I am not understanding something.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='theUnGuru' post='792458' date='07-Sep-2009 22:58']I did this and it starts numbering at the second page, as it should. But inexplicably, it's still including the initial page into the total number of pages. I'd like the second page footer to display Page 1 of 1, instead of Page 1 of 2. Sorry if I am not understanding something.[/quote]
    The easiest way to do this is to calculate the numbers you want in the footer.

Leave the page numbering at it's default.
    Configure the footers for a different first page and leave the first page footer blank
    Enter the field codes { and } by typing Control F9
    On the normal Page footer put
    Page { ={ Page }-1 } of { ={ Numpages }-1 }

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Still doesn't work for me. I'm apparently too stupid to figure this simple task out. Don't worry about answering this one. I'm not getting it.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I finally got this to work with the field codes but there HAS to be a better way

Thanks
    [quote name='theUnGuru' post='792462' date='07-Sep-2009 16:15']I finally got this to work with the field codes but there HAS to be a better way [/quote]
    Maybe... There is a separate field code that counts the pages in the current section: {SECTIONPAGES}. Therefore, if you want to exclude other sections from Y in an "Page X of Y" footer, you could use this field. See Field codes: SectionPages field - Word - Microsoft Office Online for more information.